USB drive number is changing, how to keep destination fixed?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
jacobsee

USB drive number is changing, how to keep destination fixed?

Post by jacobsee »

I have IFW set to backup image daily via Windows 10 task scheduler. In Disk Management, my C: drive is drive #0, and my external USB backup drive is drive #1 (with drive letter D:). Here is my command line:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\imagew64.exe" /wait /simple /b /logfile:%backupLog% /uy /mi:5 /d:w0 /f:w1@0x1:\ /vb

Works great most of the time, but occasionally, the computer reboots with another usb flash drive attached, and the numbering switches. So the new drive becomes #1, and the intended backup drive becomes #2. So the backup goes to the new flash drive (E:) instead of the intended drive D:. Note that the drive letters don't change, just the drive index/number.

Is there a way to tie the destination drive to the same USB drive, even if other drives are occasionally attached? I didn't find a command line to use drive letter which seems to be more stable.

thanks!
Eric
TeraByte Support

Re: USB drive number is changing, how to keep destination fixed?

Post by TeraByte Support »

Use the disk signature instead. Enable "Output Disk ID to Command
Line", then go through the UI and click show command to see how it's
used with /d and the value needed (or read the manual on the /d option).

On 11/27/2019 5:12 PM, jacobsee wrote:
> I have IFW set to backup image daily via Windows 10 task scheduler. In Disk Management, my C: drive is drive #0, and my external USB backup drive is drive #1 (with drive letter D:). Here is my command line:
>
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\imagew64.exe" /wait /simple /b /logfile:%backupLog% /uy /mi:5 /d:w0 /f:w1@0x1:\ /vb
>
> Works great most of the time, but occasionally, the computer reboots with another usb flash drive attached, and the numbering switches. So the new drive becomes #1, and the intended backup drive becomes #2. So the backup goes to the new flash drive (E:) instead of the intended drive D:. Note that the drive letters don't change, just the drive index/number.
>
> Is there a way to tie the destination drive to the same USB drive, even if other drives are occasionally attached? I didn't find a command line to use drive letter which seems to be more stable.
>
> thanks!
> Eric
>
>

Bob Coleman

Re: USB drive number is changing, how to keep destination fi

Post by Bob Coleman »

To jacobsee:

Here is a command line that I use:

C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\imagew64.exe /v /uy /f:H:\Full5

and here is another one:

imagew64.exe /b /uy /base:"G:\FULL5" /f:"G:\2019-11-25 07-55-42" /hash /del

From those and your statement that your disk is always dirve letter D, I deduce that you could probably use:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\imagew64.exe" /wait /simple /b /logfile:%backupLog% /uy /mi:5 /d:w0 /f:D:\ /vb
jacobsee

Post by jacobsee »

Thanks for both suggestions, I will try them out and let you know how it goes!
jacobsee

Post by jacobsee »

I'm now using /d and /f with disk id or guid and it is working great. for reference, here is my full cmd script for doing a simple-mode backup of my win10 C: drive to a local backup hard drive, along with instructions for finding the source and backup drive id:

-----

rem To find drive IDs, run Image for windows > Backup > Full > Next > Click Drive > Information
rem Ctrl-C to copy info into text file > Use Device ID prefixed with #0x or Device GUID in curly braces
set source=#0xSOURCE_DEVICE_ID
set backup=#0XBACKUP_DEVICE_ID
set backupPart=0x1

set backupLog="C:\Data\Log\%date:~10,4%%date:~4,2%_ImageBackupLog.txt"

echo. >> %backupLog%
echo -------------------------------------------------- >> %backupLog%
date /t >> %backupLog%
time /t >> %backupLog%
echo Starting Image Backup >> %backupLog%
echo. >> %backupLog%

"C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\imagew64.exe" /wait /simple /b /logfile:%backupLog% /uy /mi:5 /max:4GiB /odid /d:%source% /f:%backup%@%backupPart%:\ /vb