IFW Email send failure 96 - Socket Error 0x273F

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
pimjoosten

IFW Email send failure 96 - Socket Error 0x273F

Post by pimjoosten »

I have purchased IFW a few months ago and am trying to get to know it. I however have a problem with sending emails. On 4 different machines I get the same “Email send failure 96 - Socket Error 0x273F” error when trying to send a test-mail.

I do not understand anything about socket tracing. It happens with a non-secure connection (port 25) and a TLS connection (port 587).

It happens on 2 Win7 x86 machines, which both use the Windows Firewall. The 2 other machines are Win7 x64 and use Norton Security. It does not matter whether the firewall is switched off or not. All machines have IFW v3.33.
When I boot from a TBWinRE CD I also get the same error message, although I do not know whether it is supposed to work in TBWinRE. It has an internet connection, because it can search for an update for IFW.
TeraByte Support

Re: IFW Email send failure 96 - Socket Error 0x273F

Post by TeraByte Support »

IP6 is supported so if you don't have configured and the dns reports an IP6 address, it would try to use that. Instead, try using an IP4 address.
pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

Thank you for your very fast response. Entering the IPv4 address instead of the smtp server does work. The IPv6 address does not work (the same socket error), although my internet connection supports both. I can use the IPv6 address of the smtp server in my mail program. Could there be an issue with IFW with IPv6 which causes this error? (assuming IFW defaults to IPv6 when the smtp server is entered by name)
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

Took a quick look, found an function marked obsolete was being called
(presumably so error code difference between create and connect), so
removed the obsolete function for next time.

On 10/21/2019 11:24 PM, pimjoosten wrote:
> Thank you for your very fast response. Entering the IPv4 address instead of the smtp server does work. The IPv6 address does not work (the same socket error), although my internet connection supports both. I can use the IPv6 address of the smtp server in my mail program. Could there be an issue with IFW with IPv6 which causes this error? (assuming IFW defaults to IPv6 when the smtp server is entered by name)
>
>

pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

Thanks for looking into this. I will report back about the results when the next update has been released.
pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

I can confirm the fix for this issue in v3.34. Thanks!