Day 1 BootIt UEFI install to dual boot Win10 & Mint 19.1

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
brucebne

Re: Day 1 BootIt UEFI install to dual boot Win10 & Mint 19.1

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
> OK. They are good "automatics". Mine are ticked.
>
> They are not associated with Automatic/Normal.

ok, will tick those and just leave the restore option (automatic or normal) set as normal.

and in the meantime dig up an image for dos manual and check out the GPT section!
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

brucebne wrote:
>
> hmmmm. when I try to restore a Linux image to a smaller area, I get a message saying
> not enough space, even though the data is much smaller than the target partition
> area.

Have you checked the GiB to Restore? Linux tends the spread the sectors in use over the entire partition. For example, my Mint 19.1 has a 14000 MiB partition with 7.33 GiB used. But the GiB to Restore is 13.63 GiB. This is approximately 14000 MiB.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
> brucebne wrote:
> >
> > hmmmm. when I try to restore a Linux image to a smaller area, I get a message
> saying
> > not enough space, even though the data is much smaller than the target partition
> > area.
>
> Have you checked the GiB to Restore? Linux tends the spread the sectors in use over
> the entire partition. For example, my Mint 19.1 has a 14000 MiB partition with 7.33
> GiB used. But the GiB to Restore is 13.63 GiB. This is approximately 14000 MiB.

thanks for that. I had noticed the GiB to restore, and skimmed over it. Now I understand.

btw, I think some of the issues I've had getting Linux OS boot loader folders into ESP's /boot/efi/ folder has something to do with the bootable usb Linux ISOs I've made.

I just used Rufus to make a UEFI bootable USB (with Linux OS).....but it wouldn't run Linux OS without me changing BIOS settings to Legacy support.
Now that shouldn't happen. Rather the USB should boot with UEFI only set in bios.
So....a lot of the inconsistencies I've had may very well roll back to a flaw with the installation media/process.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bruce, in Rufus I choose Partition Scheme GPT which gives a Target of UEFI (non CSM).

Some flash drives work better than others.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
> Bruce, in Rufus I choose Partition Scheme GPT which gives a Target of UEFI
> (non CSM).
>
> Some flash drives work better than others.

yes, I set it up the same :)
and I did try installs via two usb sticks set up the same way in rufus.
and got different outcomes.
One wouldn't boot grub, the other did!

So maybe setting up usb sticks as uefi bootable Linux iso's is the gremlin responsible for so much trouble.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

OK, I fit in a 40km bike ride, and a an hour half way sitting by the bayside in the cool....and refamiliarized myself with the Image for Dos manual.
There's a few bits that would seem ambiguous when applied to GPT, but.... could be worse.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 00:56:17 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
brucebne disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>OK, I fit in a 40km bike ride

There are times when sitting down to a pie and a pint until the
feeling wears off, is beneficial.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bruce, any luck with restoring those images?
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
> Bruce, any luck with restoring those images?

Had to go back to work today.

Last night I tried before realzing my brain needed a break.

Issues faced:
- backup images of OSs ok
- create UEFI bootable ISO sticks, using RUFUS in windows ok
- do new installations of Elementary and Mint.....hmmm they won't boot in EUFI mode only.
- so I tried again, with bootable ISO sticks made in the software in ubuntu.
- same....the instos won't boot unless legacy is turned on. and yes I was certain to direct the OS bootloader installation to ESP.

If one cannot boot the bootable usb in UEFI only, then the Linux installation is unlikely to be UEFI....and this is going to create issues with where each OS installs grub and bootloader.
This will screw up a multi boot set up.

My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 2017 model, bought in early 2018. cpu intel i7-7500 @ 2.7GHz 16GB memory
I bought it for its lighter weight which means I can travel OS without checked luggage.

I have a Dell Latitude 5289 at home I should test this issue on, just to confirm it's not a Lenovo Bios specific thing.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Do you have Compatibility Support Module disabled in the BIOS? Make sure legacy can't boot.