IFW much slower than IFL

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Fracso

IFW much slower than IFL

Post by Fracso »

I put the HDD I use to save images in a new, USB 3.1 Gen. 2-compatible enclosure, although I use it in Gen. 1 (= USB 3.0) mode.

Now I find that when creating images from a boot UFD, IFW is much slower than IFL. Sometimes it is 50% slower. In my experience, IFW has always been somewhat slower then IFL, but I had never experience such big differences. With IFL, I get about the same speed as before. What may be the cause of this?
Bob Coleman

Re: IFW much slower than IFL

Post by Bob Coleman »

Fracso wrote:
> I put the HDD I use to save images in a new, USB 3.1 Gen. 2-compatible
> enclosure, although I use it in Gen. 1 (= USB 3.0) mode.
>
> Now I find that when creating images from a boot UFD, IFW is much slower
> than IFL. Sometimes it is 50% slower. In my experience, IFW has always been
> somewhat slower then IFL, but I had never experience such big differences.
> With IFL, I get about the same speed as before. What may be the cause of
> this?

Since you mention using a "boot UFD" I have to guess that you mean IFD, not IFL. It's a well known fact that IFL is usually much faster than IFD, but I can't offer any insight into why hat is the case.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

IFL can be quite a bit faster than IFW in TBWinRE/PE. It really depends on the system, drivers, etc. Is IFL also faster than IFW in Windows?

I assume your TBWinRE/PE build is using a current base. You could try a different USB port (one on a different controller) and see if it makes any difference. Also, make sure you're comparing with the same options (compression, encryption, source, destination, etc.).
Fracso

Post by Fracso »

When using the same enclosure and the same external disk, IFW runs normally from Windows, almost as fast as IFL. The difference appears when I run IFW from the boot medium, it is up to 2.5 times slower than IFW in Windows, using the Windows 10 1709 base, IFW 3.25.

This didn´t happen before. The only change I did was to install the same disk in the new enclosure (ASMedia ASM235CM chip). Doesn´t happen with "the other" imaging program run from WinPE/RE either. But it´s not a big deal, just a curious and unexpected situation.