Free Space: how to use on any OS?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Somchai

Free Space: how to use on any OS?

Post by Somchai »

The question is very easy (but the answer?): If I use 3 different OS'es, let say Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 on the same physical HDD and I'll have some free space left after that 3 installs, could I use that free space for to create a Partition which could be used from any of that installed OS'es for to store and use that stored data in each OS?

If yes, how to do such?

Thanks a lot for any useful answer.
TeraByte Support

Re: Free Space: how to use on any OS?

Post by TeraByte Support »

yes, create it and add it to the "mbr details" column of each boot item.

"Somchai" wrote in message news:15111@public.bootitbm...

The question is very easy (but the answer?): If I use 3 different OS'es, let
say Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 on the same physical HDD and I'll
have some free space left after that 3 installs, could I use that free space
for to create a Partition which could be used from any of that installed
OS'es for to store and use that stored data in each OS?

If yes, how to do such?

Thanks a lot for any useful answer.

Somchai

Post by Somchai »

Thanks for that info.

It works for Windows XP and Windows 7, but Windows 10.

In Windows XP and 7, I could add that newly created Partition as 2. (1)) partition to HD 0 with no problems. Windows 10 already has 4 Partitions: 0) System Reserved, 1) MBR 1, 2) MBR 2 and 3) BootIt EMBRM and it didn't let me add another Partition (4)) to it.

How to solve that problem?

Thanks for any info.
Eric

Post by Eric »

I suppose you can remove the "BootIt EMBRM" from the menu.
But you can also delete the "System Reserved" by copying all that is inside to the Win10 partition, then reconfiguring the BCD (by clicking on "BCD Edit" and changing the partition from "System Reserved" to the Win10 one), then deleting it.

Somchai wrote:
> Thanks for that info.
>
> It works for Windows XP and Windows 7, but Windows 10.
>
> In Windows XP and 7, I could add that newly created Partition as 2. (1))
> partition to HD 0 with no problems. Windows 10 already has 4 Partitions: 0)
> System Reserved, 1) MBR 1, 2) MBR 2 and 3) BootIt EMBRM and it didn't let
> me add another Partition (4)) to it.
>
> How to solve that problem?
>
> Thanks for any info.
Somchai

Post by Somchai »

Thanks Eric.

What I've done is done on an old Acer Aspire One ZG5 with a single Core Atom CPU, 1.5GB Memory and a 160GB HDD (SATA1), all 10 years old! I believe you could imagine what that for a trouble! Special for Windows 7 and Windows XP, just to get all required Updates downloaded and installed has needed a lot of time.

I've to admit, I refuse to follow your advice for both that two partitions of BootIt EMBRM and System reserved. Both seem to be needed by either Windows 10 (System reserved) and BooIt (BootIt EMBRM) to work properly. I really wouldn't like to come to the point of need to re-install everything again.
That I needed to do on another Netbook already a few weeks ago, even I'd created a Backup Image of the HDD, which didn't work, it was not readable after that process. Not a problem of that HDD, re-formatted and it worked fine again. At that time I had a problem with Linux (Debian) to get it properly to work.

Just to explain: I used that old and low power computers to test small utility and database apps under different OS'es. What works on that old machines, will work excellent on newer machines! And I could easily carry them around because of their small size too.

On that old machines, it's even quite a lot of work to change the HDD, they must be nearly completely disassembled to exchange the HDD.

Anyway, I'll recheck what I could do and for sure, wait for the replay from the Admin of this forum! Again, thanks a lot for your answer!
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Nobody suggested that you delete the "BootIt EMBRM" paritition. The suggestion, I think, was to remove that partition from the Boot Item for Windows 10 and replace it with the new data partition.

While the "BootIt EMBRM" partition (containing BIBM) must exist if BIBM is being used, it doesn't have to be seen by Windows 10 (or Windows 7 or XP).

And, yes, it's true that the System Reserved partition is currently needed by Windows 10, Eric was telling you things that you can do to make it not needed before deleting it. Whether you want to take the risk of doing that is another matter. While I think it's valid advice, swapping the data partition into the Windows 10 Boot Item in place of the "BootIt EMBRM" is probably simpler and less error prone.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Somchai wrote:
> The question is very easy (but the answer?):

Somchai, the answer is easy and has been given. BootIt EMBRM is not needed in any MBR Details Boot Item. It can be removed from MBR Details in WinXP, Win7 and Win10. All OS will still boot.

Your Win10 MBR Details will read...

0) System Reserved
1) MBR 1
2) MBR 2
3) Data
Somchai

Post by Somchai »

Thanks Bob and Brain.

I removed the EMBRM entry an added the DATA to it and all is working now fine.

I simply wasn't sure about the EMBRM Partition entry was needed because I installed BootIt BM on Windows 10 and changed the MBR to use of multiple Partitions from there. The DATA Partition is just needed to be accessible from all installed OS'es because I need a place to store Apps for testing with all that OS'es. The next step would be to also place AMPPS on the DATA Partition to be accessible from any installed OS. That's needed for to test Web-Applications locally without the need to be online on the Internet. And I don't think there would be any problem with the install and use of AMPPS.

Again, thanks a lot for all help and have a nice day.

And just to add: I miss an "I like" button on this forum software.
TAC109

Post by TAC109 »

If you're going to share the data partition between different
operating systems, you should read
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=427 which
highlights a problem with Windows 8 and 10 and the 'fast start'
option.

In summary, to turn off the 'Windows Fast Start' option, go to:-

Settings
-> System
-> Power and sleep
-> Additional power settings
-> Choose what the Power button does
-> 'Change settings that are unavailable'
-> Untick 'Turn on fast start'.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 23:27:49 EDT, Somchai wrote:

>Thanks Bob and Brain.
>
>I removed the EMBRM entry an added the DATA to it and all is working now fine.
>
>I simply wasn't sure about the EMBRM Partition entry was needed because I installed BootIt BM on Windows 10 and changed the MBR to use of multiple Partitions from there. The DATA Partition is just needed to be accessible from all installed OS'es because I need a place to store Apps for testing with all that OS'es. The next step would be to also place AMPPS on the DATA Partition to be accessible from any installed OS. That's needed for to test Web-Applications locally without the need to be online on the Internet. And I don't think there would be any problem with the install and use of AMPPS.
>
>Again, thanks a lot for all help and have a nice day.
>
>And just to add: I miss an "I like" button on this forum software.
>
Somchai

Post by Somchai »

@TAC109: Thanks for the reminder.
That was done on day first of installing BootIt BM!