convert Win10 GPT to EMBR

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
hime3

convert Win10 GPT to EMBR

Post by hime3 »

Laptop arrived with 4 partitions: System, MSFT reserved; Windows, Win RE_Drv
Resized C:\ for free space.
#5 in KB directions to convert Win10 GPT data partition to EMBR
If converting to MBR you will need to have four or fewer partitions on the drive. Delete excess partitions as required. Note: This limit does not apply if converting the drive to EMBR.

I read the Note to mean 4 existing partitions would not prevent converting GPT to EMBR.
EMBR partition selection rejected.

Must 1 partition be deleted to create the EMBR extended partition?
If so, will delete Reserved partition.
Thanks
hime
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: convert Win10 GPT to EMBR

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It's not really clear what you're trying to do. The KB article #5 point you reference is for converting a DATA drive to GPT. Your drive has Windows on it. Are you trying to keep Windows on the drive and have it boot? If so, you should be following the section on converting a Booting Windows GPT drive (or using the TBOSDT chgdtype.tbs script).

If you are treating the drive as a DATA drive (not going to be booting Windows) and are going to convert to EMBR then you don't need to delete any partitions. Sounds more like you want it as MBR, which is limited to four primary partitions. In that case, deleting the Microsoft Reserved partition is fine (it's not needed for MBR/EMBR).

If you just want to create another partition in the space freed up from resizing the Windows partition smaller, you wouldn't need to convert -- just create the new partition.
Eric

Post by Eric »

I suppose that the "System" partition is the "EFI system partition" (check its type or its file system to be sure).
In that case, to convert to MBR or EMBR, you will also have to delete it before conversion.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

hime3,

Why do you want to convert from GPT to MBR when BootIt UEFI will be available this month?
hime3

Post by hime3 »

Thank you TB support for redirecting my attention to the section I used 4 years ago to convert Win8 GPT Data to EMBR containing 5 data volumes.
Current objective was to create booting Win10 + Extended partition 5 volume hdd setup to synch with 2 desktops with identical hdd setup.
I now wonder if simpler 5 data folders on newly created D:\ partition may be preferable to EMBR conversion.
hime
TeraByte Support(PP)

Nothing wrong with using folders if that works for you. As far as partitions go, GPT has no problem with more. You could create five partitions using the space D: uses, for example.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

My advice: Create a full disk backup before possibly destroying something you need.
Dweller

Post by Dweller »

hi there!
is it risky convert a drive from GTP to MBR and vice versa?

about risky , i mean lost of data

and is it a long process ,does it tak long time seeing the drive it's 2TB ?

thanks
TeraByte Support(PP)

The conversion process itself is very quick. If you're converting a Windows drive then more changes need to be done (regardless of if done manually or using the chgdtype.tbs script), but it's mostly booting related stuff. There is always a risk of data loss when making partitioning changes, so a backup is recommended if the data on the drive is important.