Windows 10 install with Windows XP and Windows 7

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
SSDi

Windows 10 install with Windows XP and Windows 7

Post by SSDi »

I have two hard drives in my computer. Drive 1 is XP only. Drive 0 has Bootit BM, and Windows 7 on drive C. I am trying to install Windows 10 on drive K but it will not let me. If BM is disabled, Windows 10 will install on K and do it's own dual boot with Windows 7, but will not recognize XP. If I install BM, Windows 10 will give a BOOT/BCD error. I tried a BOOT/BCD repair, but it failed.

By the way, the Windows 10 dual boot is lame. When you select Windows 7 to boot, the computer has to do a complete reboot from scratch.
Brian K

Re: Windows 10 install with Windows XP and Windows 7

Post by Brian K »

SSDi,

Please see these pages regarding multibooting with BIBM. You aren't doing it correctly.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

BIBM section.

The method in "Installing Windows 7 to its Own Primary Partition (video)" will be the same for Win10.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Brian, that page is just general "How To" information. Can you elaborate on what SSDI is doing wrong?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Mike,

SSDi has created Microsoft multi-boots which involve shared booting files. BIBM creates independent multi-boots. No shared booting files. The video I quoted (a little dated now) explains the process. Basically...

Create a partition for the new OS
Create a Boot Item for the new OS
Edit the new Boot Item by excluding the partitions you don't want seen and including the partitions you do want seen
Attempt to boot the new Boot Item. It won't boot as it doesn't have an OS yet but this sets the partition table
Ctrl Alt Del and boot the OS media. Install the new OS
Boot BIBM and Reactivate BIBM
CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian »

Brian K wrote:

> Create a partition for the new OS
> Create a Boot Item for the new OS
> Edit the new Boot Item by excluding the partitions you don't want seen and
> including the partitions you do want seen

I would add:

Create 1 MiB dummy partitions to place in the unused entries in the MBR, to prevent Windows creating unnecessary extra partitions (such as "Microsoft Reserved", "Recovery"), and possibly overwriting the parts of the disk that have valid partitions, but which Windows thinks are unused and available for it to use for the extra partitions.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

CyberSimian wrote:
> Brian K wrote:
>
> > Create a partition for the new OS
> > Create a Boot Item for the new OS
> > Edit the new Boot Item by excluding the partitions you don't want seen and
> > including the partitions you do want seen
>
> I would add:
>
> Create 1 MiB dummy partitions to place in the unused entries in the MBR, to prevent
> Windows creating unnecessary extra partitions (such as "Microsoft
> Reserved", "Recovery"), and possibly overwriting the parts of the disk
> that have valid partitions, but which Windows thinks are unused and available for it
> to use for the extra partitions.
>
> -- from CyberSimian in the UK

The way to keep Windows from creating any extra partitions is to create them before you ever put the install disk in and make sure they're large enough for Windows to unpack the install files. I've never had Windows create any extra partitions, ever.

To the OP. Every OS partition should be labeled C:\. Anything else means you allowed Windows to get a hold of the MBR and initiate it's own boot manager. Before you install the 2nd OS, you need to create its partition with Partition Work. You add it to the boot menu and check the box for BIOS Sequence in the One Time pane. You must boot from this blank partition so it will be entered in the MBR. When you get the error, insert the Windows disk and re-boot. Here, you should see in-allocated space before and after the available partition and it should be labeled C:\. The space before is the hidden 1st OS partition. Never create partitions with anything other than Partition Work, not during OS install, or later in the OS itself. If you still see the partition and it isn't labeled unallocated, something's wrong.

Were I you, I'd wipe the disk and start over. After the wipe, create a partition to install BIBM and let it use the default size. If you use an SSD, you need to check the Use 1MB Boundaries to prevent misalignment. Install BIBM to that partition. Once done, create the desired OS partitions and install. Pay attention on the 2nd OS install instructions and remember to re-activate BIBM via the CD after the Windows install.