resizing Ubuntu partitions

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
mashedmitten

Re: resizing Ubuntu partitions

Post by mashedmitten »

Installing the new drive and applying the images is best. You know how that works and might spend more time working through the new method. It will also keep me from having to look at that other thread again. :mrgreen:

Then again, that cabin fever may have a strong hold and you're desperate for time wasting activities. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Logman

Post by Logman »

Thanks for that M, no such thing as time wasting activities when your retired, all I have is time :mrgreen:
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

Logman wrote:
> Thanks for that M, no such thing as time wasting activities when your
> retired, all I have is time :mrgreen:

True, but it comes down to how you spend it. You can sit in an easy chair, staring at the cobweb in the corner of the ceiling with spittle running down the chin or tackle a task like this. Thought you might have tired of option 1. :mrgreen:
Logman

Post by Logman »

Well I just finished backing up the whole HD, IFD wouldn't let me do a copy of the HD to a folder on another HD ( maybe a setting I missed ? ) so I chose to back up the whole HD with multiple images, seemed to go well, it backed up each partition on sequence.

Will tackle the new HD install later, going to watch the World Men's Curling finals from Edmonton, dreary snowy/rainy day here.
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

The copy function, correctly, won't see a folder as a complete drive. Complete WAG at it, but can a partition be set up as a virtual drive? That might be a way around it, if so.
Logman

Post by Logman »

All done and working 8-)

I had a couple of hiccups, but figured it out.

When I imaged the original 7 partitions, the first one was the BIBM one.

I restored the first 4 partitions, then an error popped up saying no more room, threw me for a loop at first, then I figured it must not be using Unlimited Primaries, I was right as then I re-installed BIBM from the boot cd, it asked if I wanted unlimited primaries, said yes and carried on, thankfully it kept all my Boot Menu items intact, which was a pleasant surprise !

Then I completed installing the last 3 partitions, which went okay, then I started checking each OS to make sure they all worked, they didn't :twisted:

First one was XP, it ran fine, second one was Vista, it didn't start, threw an error and wanted me to use the Windoze repair disk, so I ignored that and went on to the next, Win7 (old install), same error, next was the new Win7 & Ubuntu, they both worked, so I re-installed those 2 bad partitions, and now everything works fine, that was a relief.

Not sure what happened as I thought an image of the BIBM partition would work with the unlimited primaries option, I guess not, now I know to do a fresh install of BIBM in future.

Using BIBM is sure a breeze compared to Acronis, great product 8-)

Now I can install other versions of Linux without shuffling space around.