Installing Ubuntu 16.04.1

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Logman

Installing Ubuntu 16.04.1

Post by Logman »

I am trying to install Ubuntu as per all the instructions from the knowledge base and everything goes fine until the final installation screen where I get this message :

The Partition / dev / sda1 assigned to / starts at an offset of 2560 bytes from the minimum alignment for this disk, which may lead to very poor performance.
Since you are formatting this partition, you should correct this problem now by realigning the partition, as it will be difficult to change later.
To do this, go back to the main partitioning menu, delete the partition, and recreate it in the same position with the same setting.
This will cause the partition to start at a point best suited for this disk.

At this point there are 2 options on screen, go back or continue.

If I click on continue, it just goes back to the screen quoted above.

If I click on Go Back, it brings me to the main installation screen where I'm not sure what to do because I have BIBM installed on the first HD, with unlimited Primaries.

BIBM is on the first Primary, with XP, Vista, Win7Ult-64 (old) and Win7Ult-64 new on their own partitions.

I created the Ubuntu partition and swap file partition as per instructions from the BIBM article, just created and not formatted, added the Ubuntu item to the BIBM boot menu, booted to Ubuntu as per instructions ( failed as article says it should ) and rebooted to the Ubuntu DVD.

So I cancelled the installation for now until I can continue with more information on what to do, like where do I delete the partition and recreate it, from BIBM or Ubuntu.

At least everything is still as it should be re BIBM and the OS's, everything still works.
mashedmitten

Re: Installing Ubuntu 16.04.1

Post by mashedmitten »

Hiya Paul. :mrgreen:

With unlimited primaries, you have to create all partitions with BIBM. When installing to a second HDD, I thought I read you had to change bios boot order until the OS is installed on the 2nd disk.
Logman

Post by Logman »

mashedmitten wrote:
> Hiya Paul. :mrgreen:
>
> With unlimited primaries, you have to create all partitions with BIBM. When
> installing to a second HDD, I thought I read you had to change bios boot
> order until the OS is installed on the 2nd disk.

Yep, I know all that and did it properly, just using HD0 for BIBM and the OS's.

Btw, Happy New Year !
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

Ah, you're installing Ubuntu on the same disk as the other OS's? It's the Ubuntu install disk that gives the error?
Logman

Post by Logman »

mashedmitten wrote:
> Ah, you're installing Ubuntu on the same disk as the other OS's? It's the
> Ubuntu install disk that gives the error?

Yep..

I'm wondering if the fact I resized the last Win7 Partition to make room for 2 new partitions for Ubuntu and the Swap partition has a bearing on this.

I'm going to delete the 2 new partitions and try again, if that fails, maybe I have to wipe the whole HD and reinstall everything as far as after I did the resize, ( I have everything backed up ) , then make the 2 new partitions.

I had to do that before when I couldn't install BIBM to begin with, after that everything went fine for some reason. :roll:
Logman

Post by Logman »

Well just deleted the 2 partitions and redid them, same result so I'll wait until Tech support is back from the holidays before I do anything else like wiping the whole HD.
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

Sounds like the Ubuntu install is looking at the MBR and not the EMBR which would contain different partition tables. I thought there was a way to update or replace the MBR. I'll have to reboot to look.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

just enable align on 1 MiB boundary in settings.

See http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=546

"Logman" wrote in message news:13112@public.bootitbm...

I am trying to install Ubuntu as per all the instructions from the knowledge
base and everything goes fine until the final installation screen where I
get this message :

The Partition / dev / sda1 assigned to / starts at an offset of 2560 bytes
from the minimum alignment for this disk, which may lead to very poor
performance.

Logman

Post by Logman »

You can mark this as Solved 8-)

I had to delete and recreate the 2 Ubuntu Partitions as the old ones still didn't work after setting the 1meg boundary, but after that it finally installed and on reboot everything worked properly, brought up the Boot Manager and on select Ubuntu loaded fine.

Only difference I notice is that now partinfo shows free space between some partitions, like 1 MiB between BIBM and XP, nothing between XP & Vista, 5Mib between Vista & Win7, nothing between the 2 Win7 & Ubuntu partitions and 1 Mib at the end of the HD.

I'm assuming that is not a problem and that I can leave it as is.

Thank you for the quick and correct answer to my problem, very much appreciated !!