2 Win7 partitions no longer bootable after Upgrade of one

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
sigi

Re: 2 Win7 partitions no longer bootable after Upgrade of on

Post by sigi »

TeraByte Support wrote:
>
> What you could try is to install without formatting, ...
>

One quick reaction before I leave for a ten days' vacation tomorrow:

Upon your suggestion I tried an Inplace Upgrade for my Win7_lost in the Recovery Environment (assuming that this is what your proposal amounts to). I got a choice between "Upgrade" and "User-defined", whereby "Upgrade" should keep files, settings and programs.

The "Upgrade" ends with a "Compatibility Report" stating: "The computer was started with a Windows installation medium. Remove the Windows installation medium and reboot the computer so that Windows is started in a regular way. Thereafter insert the Windows installation medium and start the Upgrade again..."

This "Compatibility Report" can only be terminated by pressing the "Close" button, which transfers me again to the blue Windows RE installation start screen where I can choose between Windows 7 installation and Computer Repair Options. Hence, I am in an endless loop and that answers my Question 2 of my last posting (which you did not answer) in the sense that an Inplace Upgrade is only possible in a regularly started Windows. So that proposal of yours does not get me anywhere.

I then ran "sfc /scannow" three times at the WinRE command prompt, whereby I made shure that offwinboot and offwindir pointed correctly to my Win7_lost. Again this changed nothing at all in the boot behaviour of my Win7_lost.

If you came up with a proposal what files and folders I could perhaps transfer from my functioning Win7_2014 to Win7_lost in order to make the latter work, I would try this after returning from my vacation. Otherwise I would consider all Win7_lost restoration attempts exhausted and content myself with the (already achieved) complete storage of my Win7_lost users directory in a Volume of its own where it is readily accessible.
sigi

Post by sigi »

sigi wrote:
>
> If you came up with a proposal what files and folders I could perhaps transfer from
> my functioning Win7_2014 to Win7_lost in order to make the latter work, I would try
> this after returning from my vacation. Otherwise I would consider all Win7_lost
> restoration attempts exhausted and content myself with the (already achieved)
> complete storage of my Win7_lost users directory in a Volume of its own where it is
> readily accessible.
>

Since there has not been any further reaction I consider this thread for my part as terminated. I will continue in my thread http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... f=2&t=2326 with the related discussion on how to revive my Win7_Koy, which caused the whole problem when I tried to upgrade it to Win10 and subsequently deleted its 100 MiB system partition.
sigi

Post by sigi »

After having rendered Win7_Koy bootable again with EasyBCD (see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2326&start=10#p12777, the first five paragraphs after ''QUOTATION 2'') I tried the same with Win7_lost. The result was negative:
WinRE did not find an OS in several runs. EasyBCD whose output for Win7_lost looked quite OK (as it did in BIBM BCD Edit) did not change anything. WinRE booting into the boot item established for Win7_lost did not find an OS.

SO I RESOLVED TO DELETE THE PARTITION FOR GOOD and to restore at that place an image of my current Win7_2014 after having deleted it on HD-1.

The new Win7_2014 should reside at the beginning of HD-0 like the deleted Win7_lost but with some more free space in front (in case the planned new attempt at upgrading Win7_Koy should again try to create a system partition there). Attachment 1 shows the "Work with Partitions" dialog box for HD-0 after I had created an empty partition Win7_2014 there that should take up the restored Win7_2014.

The image restore at that position failed. So I restored the image to its former HD-1 position again in order to solve the problem from there with the help of this forum.

The problem appears to be related to the BIBM notification "Errors exist" just above the upper right corner
of the "MBR Partitions" Window in "Work with Partitions" (see Attachment 1). HD-1 does not show this error. I have attached the partinfo for my PC in order to speed up troubleshooting (Attachment 2).

What should I do now wrt the "Errors exist" message?
Attachments
Att.1 'Errors exist'.jpg
Att.1 'Errors exist'.jpg (211.67 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
Att.2 partinfg diagrams Nov_2016.jpg
Att.2 partinfg diagrams Nov_2016.jpg (74.18 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

with errors existed you'll typically find an "E" on the partitions that have
issues, typically overlap or go beyond the end of the drive. So you have to
decide what to do with those partitions, delete the ones that shouldn't
exist.

"sigi" wrote in message news:12886@public.bootitbm...

What should I do now wrt the "Errors exist" message?

sigi

Post by sigi »

According to Attachment 1 of my previous posting the partitions named "ExtNov13" and "MBR Entry 3" bear an "E" and should be the faulty ones.

I am not familiar with partinfo but I thought you were and could tell me by evaluating its contents what was wrong with those two HD-0 partitions, can't you?

What I could do about the two partitions other than throw them away? Resize, Shift, Copy or other partition management operations are not available for these two partitions. If I include them in the MBR Details, only "ExtNov13" shows up in the Win7 Explorer (see Attachment).
Attachments
ExtNov13.jpg
ExtNov13.jpg (172.07 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

you'd look at the start/end lba. Then you'd determine which is correct,
delete the other one.

"sigi" wrote in message news:12896@public.bootitbm...

According to Attachment 1 of my previous posting the partitions named
"ExtNov13" and "MBR Entry 3" bear an "E" and should be the faulty ones.

I am not familiar with partinfo but I thought you were and could tell me by
evaluating its contents what was wrong with those two HD-0 partitions, can't
you?

What I could do about the two partitions other than throw them away? Resize,
Shift, Copy or other partition management operations are not available for
these two partitions. If I include them in the MBR Details, only "ExtNov13"
shows up in the Win7 Explorer (see Attachment).

sigi

Post by sigi »

I start feeling a bit like Bill Murray in the film "Groundhog Day". My groundhog is called "Win7_Koy". It lets me relive the unexpected creation of system partitions.

At the beginning of this thread it created a Windows boot partition on HD-0 when I tried to upgrade this Win7 to Win10. It overlapped my old working partition (called Win7_lost in this thread).

Now when I intended to terminate the thread it created a Dell Diagnostics Partition on HD-0 (again not on its home HD-1), which overlaps a backup of my Extended (named ExtNov13). The Attachment visualizes the overlap.

The culprit "Win7_Koy" is a Win7 Prof 64-Bit OEM Software intended for DELL Computers. Microsoft does not like its installation by consumers but amazon.de indicates that it is perfectly legal in Germany to do so. Anyway, it appears to be a candidate for trouble.

I am going to delete both partitions flagged with "E". I do not need the Dell Utility anyway, and the Extended would deserve a new backup.

ARE THERE ANY POINTS TO OBSERVE IN ORDER TO AVOID FURTHER DESASTERS?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once HD-0 is error-free, I will again
* try to restore an Image of my present working partition "Win7_2014" to HD-0
* try to Upgrade Win7_Koy to Windows 10 (hopefully this time without an extra partition).
Attachments
MPT for HD-0 with Errors 161126  New.jpg
MPT for HD-0 with Errors 161126 New.jpg (45.32 KiB) Viewed 6083 times
Last edited by sigi on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sigi

Post by sigi »

After my last posting I deleted the Dell Partition without checkmarks and then explored what I could do with the ExtNov13, the partition that had been overlapped by the unwanted automatic creation of the Dell Partition:

Validate completed successfully.

TBIMount told me that the data carrier was unformatted.

TBIView reported:

Unable to mount the image. Common reasons:
dirty file system,
incorrect partition file system identifier,
unsupported file system,
or an error occurred.
Unquote

I then deleted (without checkmarks) and undeleted ExtNov13. Furthermore I applied the Resize function (without changing the size) successfully to it. The validation completed successfully too. But when trying TBIView on it, the result was again the above error message.

QUESTIONS

1) Does "Validate" not detect a dirty file system? What is it then that is validated?
2) Are there any measures left to rescue ExtNov13 (e.g. any of the BIBM "View MBR" functions)?