Enhanced Speed & Process Priority

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
pablo

Enhanced Speed & Process Priority

Post by pablo »

I've been running some speed tests after my V2-->V3 upgrade and I'm puzzled about the effects of "Enhanced Speed" and "Process Priority".

Here are my time results for full backups and B-for-B validation on my 37GB C:\ drive using v3.03a:

Enhanced Speed A + Normal Priority = 8:46
Enhanced Speed A + High Priority = 9:34
Enhanced Speed B + Normal Priority = 12:21
Enhanced Speed B + High Priority = 13:01

Evidently Enhanced Speed A is faster than B, but why is Normal Priority faster than High Priority?

Also, why can I only set the priority after the backup process has started?

Frankly, I'm not seeing the faster backup times in V3 that other users have claimed in this forum. For me, it seems to be about the same as V2.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Enhanced Speed & Process Priority

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You may not see much difference on Speed A compression since that's already the fastest. Comparing one of the higher compression methods (Standard, Enhanced Size C, etc.) would be better. Note that the difference will depend on the system (CPU speed, cores, etc.). Also, if the bottleneck is disk throughput (source or destination) then that's going to hold things back.

You can set a default priority in the INI file ("Priority" option). Note that using a different priority value may not give the results you expect -- depends on how the system handles it.
pablo

Post by pablo »

As far as bottlenecks go, I'm imaging from RAID 0 to RAID 1; perhaps the double writing to the RAID 1 array holds things up? Be that as it may, this is the same drive system that I used for V2, so V3 hasn't been an improvement so far.

Will continue to play with various configs to see if I can get quicker times. I'll leave Priority @Normal since High Priority isn't helping.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

running at high priority can take away from the system processes and
actually slow the whole process down.

"pablo" wrote in message news:12813@public.image...

Also, why can I only set the priority after the backup process has started?