TeraByte WinPE Boot Disc

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
pablo

TeraByte WinPE Boot Disc

Post by pablo »

I just upgraded to IFW v3.03a from v2.99-00. Do the instructions for "Creating a TeraByte WinPE Boot Disc Containing Image for Windows (TBWinPE)" still work for the new version, or does v3 require additional steps?

Just thought I'd ask before beginning the laborious process.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: TeraByte WinPE Boot Disc

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The steps are the same. The main difference is that it will use your V3 name/key (usually detected automatically). Make sure to use the version of TBWinPE/RE Builder (or scripts) included with V3 or download the current zip from the website so you get V3 support.

In general, the build should be just stepping through the TBWinPE/RE Builder wizard -- usually, just several minutes. Are you doing something custom that makes the process more time consuming?
pablo

Post by pablo »

OK, thanks. The procedure hasn't changed.

I don't keep WinPE installed on my computer. So each time I make a TBWinPE disc for Windows 7, I have to install AIK 3.0, then upgrade it to AIK 3.1 before I can get started. Takes time and I'm not particularly quick at following the lengthy instructions anyway ( http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... torial.htm ). Once I make a TBWinPE disc, I don't update it very often as I only use it for restores.

Other imaging software automates the recovery disc creation process and makes it far less painful than IFW. I almost went with another product for that very reason, but their exorbitant price (7x IFW!) kept me here for the new version. Also, I've been reading on this forum that v3 is faster than v2, and slowness was another reason I felt like looking elsewhere for an imaging program.
TeraByte Support(PP)

If you don't want to keep the AIK/ADK installed on the computer you don't have to. Once installed, just copy the installation folder to an alternate location (e.g. D:\Win7AIK). Then in TBWinPE/RE Builder settings (or script variables) set the path for the AIK/ADK to that location (the path can't be detected automatically when not installed). This also allows you to easily build using different AIK/ADK versions since they can't all be installed at the same time. If space is an issue you could copy the files to a USB drive, network share, etc. and still be easier than installing/updating/uninstalling each time.

I assume you are aware that you can create the TBWinRE boot media without needing the AIK/ADK (it uses WinRE installed with Windows 7 or later). For Windows 7, it would most likely be based on 3.0, though. If you need 3.1 you would still need TBWinPE and the AIK.
pablo

Post by pablo »

Thanks for the tips. I'll try saving the installation folder to a thumb drive for recovery disc updates.

Can I do the same thing for my Windows 10 laptop by saving the ADK installation folder on a removable drive?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Yes.

I'm curious why you're building TBWinPE instead of TBWinRE.
pablo

Post by pablo »

I had a reason for using PE instead of RE, but for the life of me, I can't remember. It's possible that it overcame some past problem that doesn't even exist anymore or it had some feature that I desired long ago. I'll create recovery discs using using each one and see if TBWinRE is sufficient for me. Since I use the recovery disc mostly for restoring images and don't need networking support, RE might be all I need. Not having to install AIK every time or having to save the installation folder would certainly be a plus. The same goes for ADK on my Win 10 laptop.

What do you gain with TBWinPE that might be missing from TBWinRE?
TeraByte Support(PP)

TBWinRE also includes network support (WinRE is based on WinPE).

Creating TBWinPE using the AIK/ADK allows you to build other versions of the boot media than with TBWinRE. For example, if your computer is running Windows 7 your TBWinRE build would be based on the Windows 7 WinRE. However, a TBWinPE build could be based on the Windows 7 AIK, Windows 8.0/8.1 ADK, or any of the WIndows 10 ADKs. You also have more flexibility in creating a custom WinPE build with the packages included with the AIK/ADK (this isn't necessary for normal use). Another example would be if WinRE is broken or missing on your system and you can't create a TBWinRE build -- you can still create a TBWinPE build by installing the AIK/ADK.

For normal recovery boot media, using TBWinRE is usually sufficient and, in some cases, better (it includes the WinRE environment and Bitlocker support, for example). In your case, you may just want to use the Windows 10 TBWinRE build as the boot media for both systems. The newer versions usually include drivers for older systems and on some actually work better (built-in USB 3 support is one example of this).
pablo

Post by pablo »

I'll go ahead and try Win 10 TBWinRE on my Windows 7 desktop. I've tried Win 10 on that computer and have an image of the installation. Eventually, I'll make a permanent move away from Win 7, so it would be nice to have a working TBWinPE/RE disc ready for the transition.

Just realized that I use IFL on the laptop, not TBWinPE. IFL on a UFD works just fine on the laptop and fits nicely on an old 500 MB thumb drive.
TAC109

Post by TAC109 »

It is a while since I experimented with TBWinPE/RE but there were some additional advantages with PE, such as:-

You could build a different bit-ness system than your normal one (32 vs 64 bit).

You could specify the time zone (RE was GMT only).

You could specify language pack and input locale (have dates shown in a familiar format).