Win 10 refused to install on one laptop

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
mjnelson99

Win 10 refused to install on one laptop

Post by mjnelson99 »

I tried 4 times to install Win 10 one one laptop. It failed @ 99% every
time.

Since it was a download, it was not obvious it has frozen. Yesterday I
waited 4 hrs just to be sure I was not being impatient. It failed.

Win 7 it is for me.
Mary
sigi

Re: Win 10 refused to install on one laptop

Post by sigi »

I had exactly the same situation on my desktop PC with a freshly installed Win7. Waited even longer, some twelve hours or so. Tried it several times anew after corrective actions like sfc and chkdsk with parameters. Plenty of Free space available, much more than the required 20 GB. The downloaded files are all there so that the Upgrade Assistant tells me everything is ready and OK for Upgrade. But it does not get beyond 99 %. What it has achieved though is to create a new 100 MiB partition right at the beginning of HD-0 thereby overlapping my main Win7 partition (not the one to be upgraded, which is on HD-1) [cf. my thread http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/po ... =2&p=11921].

I am not inclined to give up. But first I want to get my main Win7 back. Therefore I started the above thread. The Upgrade must wait.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

sigi,
I did not see the downloaded files. It is possible they are still there.
Don't know where to look or what to look for.
What is the path/name of your files?
Mary

On 8/6/2016 11:36 AM, sigi wrote:
> I had exactly the same situation on my desktop PC with a freshly installed Win7. Waited even longer, some twelve hours or so. Tried it several times anew after corrective actions like sfc and chkdsk with parameters. Plenty of Free space available, much more than the required 20 GB. The downloaded files are all there so that the Upgrade Assistant tells me everything is ready and OK for Upgrade. But it does not get beyond 99 %. What it has achieved though is to create a new 100 MiB partition right at the beginning of HD-0 thereby overlapping my main Win7 partition (not the one to be upgraded, which is on HD-1) [cf. my thread
>
> [
> posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=11921
> ](http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=11921)
>
> ].
>
> I am not inclined to give up. But first I want to get my main Win7 back. Therefore I started the above thread. The Upgrade must wait.
>
>
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

This is probably not the place for this, so far, I haven't been able to do a clean install of Win 10 (hangs), but I have been able to upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 and now use Win 10 almost exclusively. I upgraded a bare bones Win 7 to Win 10 and then from within the result performed a Reset This PC so I had an almost clean install.
sigi

Post by sigi »

Mary,

you will find the Win10 Download folder as automatically created by the Win10 Upgrade Assistant in the Attachment. I haven't changed its name nor its location.

I would like to add that in contrast to my desktop PC I had a smooth Win8.1-Win10 Upgrade on the SSD of my Notebook although there had been hardly more than the required Free Space of 20 GB. (I first tried it from a DVD created with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool with no success, but thereafter the Upgrade from the started Win 8.1 succeeded in reasonable time).

One remarkable difference to my desktop PC was that I ran the Upgrade on the latter exactly on July 29, 2016 whereas I did it on the Notebook some days earlier. But that should not make much difference because the downloaded Win10 files were there on my desktop PC and I have no reason to doubt their correctness.
Attachments
Win7_10 Upgrade directory.jpg
Win7_10 Upgrade directory.jpg (237.96 KiB) Viewed 6584 times
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

I deleted all the Win 10 files on the laptop. Then did the restore of an
image created before the download attempt.
It looked like the download wanted an install code that the download
link should have provided and didn't.

Win 10 might have been worth it for me for 2 computers.
Mary

On 8/6/2016 8:29 PM, sigi wrote:
> Mary,
>
> you will find the Win10 Download folder as automatically created by the Win10 Upgrade Assistant in the Attachment. I haven't changed its name nor its location.
>
> I would like to add that in contrast to my desktop PC I had a smooth Win8.1-Win10 Upgrade on the SSD of my Notebook although there had been hardly more than the required Free Space of 20 GB. (I first tried it from a DVD created with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool with no success, but thereafter the Upgrade from the started Win 8.1 succeeded in reasonable time).
>
> One remarkable difference to my desktop PC was that I ran the Upgrade on the latter exactly on July 29, 2016 whereas I did it on the Notebook some days earlier. But that should not make much difference because the downloaded Win10 files were there on my desktop PC and I have no reason to doubt their correctness.
>
>
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

I wonder if my inability to clean install Win 10 from an ISO could be in any related to having BIBM and/or multiple OS partitions on the PC. Just a random thought. I don't want to know badly enough to wipe the disk clean and try again.