Help me replace a bad disk, reduce partition size?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
jeffw_00

Help me replace a bad disk, reduce partition size?

Post by jeffw_00 »

Hi - As noted in another thread, I have a disk that runs great, IFW backups run clean, but the WD disk tool (Data Lifeguard) says it has a lot of bad sectors (they were revealed when I updated to W10, I have since reverted to WIN 7). Currently, the drive is 2 partitions C: 500GB (60GB in use), d:1.5TB. I backup only the C partition (this morning full backup ran/validated clean, so I assume I'm just not using the bad sectors, yet), and use D for storage (mostly of IFW backups- which still validate, so I assume they're ok).

I ordered a new WD Blue 2TB disk. I believe what I do is
1) backup my C partition again (to another physical disk in the system).
2) connect the new drive (no formatting needed)
3) restore the backup onto the new drive using IFW
4) Boot off the new drive
5) Create the D partition on the new drive to fill the rest of the new drive (I can do this using Windows Disk Management? Bootit NG? )
6) Copy the contents of the old D partition to the new D partition, validate all backups on the new partition. (if any don't validate - they're lost).
7) pull and junk the old drive.

Do I have this right? I'm particularly worried if I'm missing a step around #3.

Also - if I want to reduce the C partition from 500GB to, say, 200GB, is that easy to do as part of this process?

Thanks!
/j

PS - Alternately, Should i use something like this? http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/ It says it deals with bad sectors....
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Help me replace a bad disk, reduce partition size?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

On step 3 if you don't change the disk signature/ID's you should disconnect or disable the old drive before booting the new drive so Windows doesn't see it. Once you have the new drive booting you can reconnect/enable the old drive.

As for resizing on the restore, you may need to compact the partition before backing up (check the minimum space required to restore). Otherwise you can resize after the restore using BIBM, Disk Management, etc. Note that if sectors marked as bad on the new drive (but not really bad) cause issues when resizing you can run "chkdsk /b" to scan the disk and correct them.
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

Thanks so much Paul. Much appreciated! FWIW- I thought I remembered an IFW option (was going to look this evening) that would restore an image to a smaller size if most of the image was empty space...

I'm afraid of compacting before backup because I might stumble over a bad sector. However, this partition has never had more than 60-70GB in use and is 500GB full, so I suspect it never got much past the first 200GB. My theory is that for some reason Win10 decided to put some stuff near the top end of the space and found the bad sectors. But yes, maybe best to just restore it to full size. Compact if needed, and then reduce the partition size.

I think you're saying that IFW will restore the bad sector map? If so, I understand why I'd want to run chkdsk /b (although - it will take a -long- time, yes?)

thanks!
/j
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The size required to restore can be seen by selecting the partition and clicking the Information button ("MiB to Restore" value). Note that some partitions will have allocated space half-way or further through the partition even with only a few MB's of data on them (or even just formatted). When doing the restore, on the options step, it will show the minimum and maximum size supported in the "Resize After Restore" box (where you would input the new value). Sounds like you'll have lots of free space after the partition so you shouldn't have any space issues with the resizing.

Yes, running chkdsk /b can take a long time. You could run a normal chkdsk first and see if any bad sectors are being reported.
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

Got it - thanks! My Saturday project (sigh) :-}