Migration of HDD to SSD

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
ronk

Re: Migration of HDD to SSD

Post by ronk »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> Yes. If the swap isn't detected, you could boot from a UFD so both drives
> could be in when IFL is booted.

Just to let you know your instructions worked flawlessly. A big Thank You! Terabyte products & support are always top notch. I used IFL on a UFD with the target SSD in primary bay, and source in host swap caddy. Not any problems with the suggested settings.

I do have a question. The parameters you recommended be set, will they work with copying or restoring data partitions without an OS (all data data partitions)? Will be making a mirror image copy or restore (identical patition sizes, but target HDD is smaller).

Thanks again!
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You wouldn't want to scale anything if keeping the partitions the same size, so you just wouldn't use the "Scale to Fit" option.
ronk

Post by ronk »

[attachment=0]Clipboard01.jpg[/attachment]TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> You wouldn't want to scale anything if keeping the partitions the same
> size, so you just wouldn't use the "Scale to Fit" option.

Hello (and HELP), Thanks, haven't got to the copying the data HDD yet, but had such good luck with the SSD conversion that I purchased another for a 2nd nearly identical Lenovo T530 laptop. Followed the same procedures and settings. The IFL copy competed normally from the HDD in the hot swap bay to the new SSD. Then removed the hot swap HDD, and tried to reboot. When I reboot, I can get into the Bios with 'F1' to look at things, but otherwise after displaying 'Thinkpad' it merely has a blinking cursor in the upper left. What can I try next to resolve this? Is their a boot partition I have to fix? I thought the setting for automatic boot partition would fix that.

The SSD is an Intel 520 180gb drive. The HDD was HGST 500gb, but only 153 gb needed for copy. With 'F12' the SSD is listed as boot device. Bios settings appear the same as the other Lenovo T530 I converted to SSD yesterday.

Did the copy a 2nd time with the same result.

Not sure what to do next, just surprised since this HDD, like the other one, only has 2 partitions, the small 100mb system and the primary boot healthy, etc partition.

Any help appreciated.
Attachments
HDD being copied with IFL
HDD being copied with IFL
Clipboard01.jpg (73.32 KiB) Viewed 7194 times
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

I would check if the BIOS is current. The change logs show various booting issues through the revisions. Also, if Rapid Start is enabled try disabling it.

For the partitions, the small System partition should be set active. This would be part of the copy but you could verify it. You could also try using the "Write Standard MBR Code" option.
ronk

Post by ronk »

Success! Changing Quick Start had no effect, the Bios version is only .02 lower than the other T530, so...that left the checking the 'Write Standard MBR', and it worked! Funny I was thinking of trying that setting since it this was a boot issue. the Master Boot Record apparently needed rewriting for some reason. Looks good.

Now on to the data HDD, plan to backup and then restore to second HDD, leaving parms as default and no 'scale to fit' checked.

Thanks again.

Data HDD image backup, and restore to 2nd HDD completed as well, with scale to fit unchecked. Mirror image of partitions to smaller HDD worked great.

Thanks for the help.
ronk

Post by ronk »

After migration of 2 thinkpads to SSD, getting error 'unable to obtain a lock on drive C' with IFW 2.95. Get the error on both thinkpads. IFL 2.95 works fine on both. Phylock apparently has an issue with C:
I know many use IFW for the OS, I usually use it only for my data partitions. Not a big deal, since with SSD, can cycle through IFL and back to Win7 fairly quickly. Before I do more research on this, any quick fixes someone has that has run into this?

Win 7 Pro
IFL/IFW 2.95
Avira
Thinkpad T530 * 2
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

You might consider updating IFW/IFL to the latest versions and findout
if that makes a difference.

I did increase the RAM cache size in IFW.
Mary

On 2/13/2016 11:01 AM, ronk wrote:
> After migration of 2 thinkpads to SSD, getting error 'unable to obtain a lock on drive C' with IFW 2.95. Get the error on both thinkpads. IFL 2.95 works fine on both. Phylock apparently has an issue with C:
> I know many use IFW for the OS, I usually use it only for my data partitions. Not a big deal, since with SSD, can cycle through IFL and back to Win7 fairly quickly. Before I do more research on this, any quick fixes someone has that has run into this?
>
> Win 7 Pro
> IFL/IFW 2.95
> Avira
> Thinkpad T530 * 2
>
>
ronk

Post by ronk »

Yes, plan to update. 2.95 seemed a very stable release for me so far. I used to keep up but maintaining the product on several laptops is a bit of work, having to rebuild my UFD, etc. Will give it a try though.

BTW...IFW works fine for data partitions and is actually faster than IFL, getting 3gb/min to USB externals (HDD to USB)..SSD is OS only.

Thanks for the advice.

Ron
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

sounds like phylock is not installed or disabled in settings and vss option
also disabled. So reinstall, check settings.

"ronk" wrote in message news:11081@public.image...

Yes, plan to update. 2.95 seemed a very stable release for me so far. I
used to keep up but maintaining the product on several laptops is a bit of
work, having to rebuild my UFD, etc. Will give it a try though.

BTW...IFW works fine for data partitions and is actually faster than IFL,
getting 3gb/min to USB externals (HDD to USB)..SSD is OS only.

Thanks for the advice.

Ron

ronk

Post by ronk »

Actually I did reinstall IFW 2.95 and had the same result. However, downloaded 2.98, installed it, made no changes to the defaults and....it works! I noticed you had a new version of Phylock released by 2.98 so maybe that had an effect? Not sure, just happy it works.

Ron