how can i copy my w10 to a new drive?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: how can i copy my w10 to a new drive?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Your MountedDevices entries sound normal to me.

Option defaults can change over time. However, currently, the "Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries" option is disabled by default. Note that alignment is determined by a number of factors, of which this option is just one. In many cases the correct alignment is used. It is usually not necessary to always force alignment one way or the other.

The "Automatic Scaling Restrictions" option is enabled by default. Unless the option to disable it is selected when creating the boot media or there is an existing INI file with it disabled, it should be enabled on the boot media.

For options that do not default to the values you prefer it's necessary to manually check and set them as desired. In the case of the installed program the settings are retained on updates. For boot media you can provide an INI file with the desired settings so that they're the same every time you create it. Some settings can also be configured while creating the boot media. Otherwise, after booting, check the settings before performing operations that would be affected by them.
giulia

Post by giulia »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> Your MountedDevices entries sound normal to me.
>
> Option defaults can change over time. However, currently, the "Align
> Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries" option is disabled by default. Note
> that alignment is determined by a number of factors, of which this option
> is just one. In many cases the correct alignment is used. It is usually not
> necessary to always force alignment one way or the other.
>
> The "Automatic Scaling Restrictions" option is enabled by
> default. Unless the option to disable it is selected when creating the boot
> media or there is an existing INI file with it disabled, it should be
> enabled on the boot media.
>
> For options that do not default to the values you prefer it's necessary to
> manually check and set them as desired. In the case of the installed
> program the settings are retained on updates. For boot media you can
> provide an INI file with the desired settings so that they're the same
> every time you create it. Some settings can also be configured while
> creating the boot media. Otherwise, after booting, check the settings
> before performing operations that would be affected by them.
ok
thanks
i will enable Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries (my source ssd is perfecly aligned ) but this option won't hurt ,will it?
about
> The "Automatic Scaling Restrictions" option is enabled by default. Unless the option to disable it is selected when creating the boot media or there is an existing INI file with it disabled, it should be enabled on the boot media.
i just rebuilt an rescuq cd and it's disable by default, i know it's weird , and i'm using the last version
TeraByte Support(PP)

giulia wrote:
> i will enable Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries (my source ssd is perfecly aligned
> ) but this option won't hurt ,will it?

No, that's fine. I usually enable it also.

> > The "Automatic Scaling Restrictions" option is enabled by default.
> Unless the option to disable it is selected when creating the boot media or there is
> an existing INI file with it disabled, it should be enabled on the boot media.
> i just rebuilt an rescuq cd and it's disable by default, i know it's weird , and i'm
> using the last version

I haven't seen the problem in any builds I've created. Which options are you using to create the CD? Are you importing or using an INI file for the build? MakeDisk has an option for IFL that will disable the option ("Disable Automatic Scaling Restrictions"). Is that option checked (you have to select Traditional/Custom to see it)?
giulia

Post by giulia »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:

> I haven't seen the problem in any builds I've created. Which options are you using to
> create the CD? Are you importing or using an INI file for the build? MakeDisk has an
> option for IFL that will disable the option ("Disable Automatic Scaling
> Restrictions"). Is that option checked (you have to select Traditional/Custom to
> see it)?
hi
i don't use any options
about image for windows running under windows ,the option are default ,never touched them never changed them
about creating a boot cd i don't check/enable any option , i create a recovery cd image for linux , without enabling any option
PS MAY i know if my drive are correcly aligned?
1) img2 2_1.jpg is windows 7 (there is no 1mb at the end)
2) img1 1_6.jpg is windows 10 (i can see 1mb at the end )

thanks
Attachments
img1 1_6.jpg
img1 1_6.jpg (136.57 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
img2 2_1.jpg
img2 2_1.jpg (142.32 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
giulia

Post by giulia »

hi
i did exacly how suggested and my w10 doesn't want to boot
INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
i can't even go in safe mode
TeraByte Support(PP)

I see from your posts in the Wilders thread that you got it working. In your screenshots the correct partition is not set active. That will cause problems and I assume the original source drive was not configured that way. After you performed the copy/restore that had the boot error did you still have the original source SSD connected when you booted (or tried to boot) into any Windows installation?