Are my BING img files of no use after upgrading to BIBM?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
mjnelson99

Re: Are my BING img files of no use after upgrading to BIBM?

Post by mjnelson99 »

On my laptop I need to attach an external card reader
directly to a USB port. I cannot use the built-in reader
either to boot or even to format a SD card, only write to
it. It is possible that not all external readers can do
this. I am fortunate in that the only one I got will.

Then I put in in the boot sequence before HD and probably
CD/DVD as well.

My laptop is about 4 years old and even then it is possible.

I have IFD on a SD card. I usually use IFW for my images so
don't use it that often.
Mary

On 1/8/2012 9:39 AM, AlanD wrote:
> On 2012-01-07 6:24 PM, mjnelson99 wrote:
>> Jim,
>> I am using an SD card to boot IFW/IFD now and it is pretty
>> painless. BING can also boot from SD if your computer allows
>> it. It is very rapid compared to CD or floppy.
>>
>> I must agree with the question of how often are you going to
>> actually be using those old images?
>> Mary
>>
>> On 1/6/2012 11:02 PM, ohaya wrote:
>>> [quote="Bob Coleman":gan0ix4a]I wouldn't say it's true that there would be no use for the images that you have. It is true that they can't be used by Image for DOS (IFD) which is included with BIBM and intended to be used for imaging by BIBM users.
>>>
>>> However, there is nothing to prevent your keeping your BING boot media and use it to restore any
>>> existing BING images when/if necessary. Surely, as time goes on this won't be a frequent requirement.[/quote:gan0ix4a]
>>>
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When you say"keeping your BING boot media and use it to restore any existing BING images", do you mean having BING on a floppy or CD, and having to boot to the floppy or CD when you need to restore the BING image? That (to me) sounds like it'd be a bit of a pain.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
> Not to interrupt, but Mary would you share with us how you managed to
> boot from SD card?
>
> AlanD
>
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

On 1/8/2012 2:55 PM, Tom Cole wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 20:29:31 PST, ohaya wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Actually, I *do* keep, and use, most of the images.
>>
>> The reason is that I do a lot of development, and oftentimes, a specific project requires an environment that might have 2-7 virtualized machines (="guests") for each environment, with maybe 4-8GB or more of drive space per guest. It would be quite prohibitive to keep all of those guests on hard drives all the time, so what I've been doing is to image the guests, and then restore the ones that I need as needed. And, I oftentimes have to resurrect a test environment that I might've originally stood up many months earlier.
>>
>> Jim
>
> You could always 'convert ' your images by restoring with BING and
> then immediately taking a new image with BiBM or one of the other
> version 2 products (IFD/IFW/IFL). If you needed to 'update' any of
> your images, it would be convenient to do that at the same time.
>

I have restored an April, 2011 Win 7 image 3 x in the last 3
weeks or so. Even there I updated things not likely to
affect reliability like Quicken and that DOES NOT include MS
updates since I think one of them was making IE 8 crash
regularly.

Last time, I imaged the updated install before I installed
all the many MS updates. Thank heaven I did because IE 8
immediately started crashing again so used the updated image
the next time and saved some work for me.

Still haven't gotten the IE 8 security updates even though
the June one is rated Critical that may be the one that is
causing problems. My computer not having IE 8 crashing is
also rated critical to me.

Thank heaven for TBI products. What a lifesaver they are.
Mary
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

On 2012-01-08 5:58 PM, mjnelson99 wrote:
> On my laptop I need to attach an external card reader
> directly to a USB port. I cannot use the built-in reader
> either to boot or even to format a SD card, only write to
> it. It is possible that not all external readers can do
> this. I am fortunate in that the only one I got will.
>
> Then I put in in the boot sequence before HD and probably
> CD/DVD as well.
>
> My laptop is about 4 years old and even then it is possible.
>
> I have IFD on a SD card. I usually use IFW for my images so
> don't use it that often.
> Mary
>
> On 1/8/2012 9:39 AM, AlanD wrote:
>> On 2012-01-07 6:24 PM, mjnelson99 wrote:
>>> Jim,
>>> I am using an SD card to boot IFW/IFD now and it is pretty
>>> painless. BING can also boot from SD if your computer allows
>>> it. It is very rapid compared to CD or floppy.
>>>
>>> I must agree with the question of how often are you going to
>>> actually be using those old images?
>>> Mary
>>>
>>> On 1/6/2012 11:02 PM, ohaya wrote:
>>>> [quote="Bob Coleman":gan0ix4a]I wouldn't say it's true that there would be no use for the images that you have. It is true that they can't be used by Image for DOS (IFD) which is included with BIBM and intended to be used for imaging by BIBM users.
>>>>
>>>> However, there is nothing to prevent your keeping your BING boot media and use it to restore any
>>>> existing BING images when/if necessary. Surely, as time goes on this won't be a frequent requirement.[/quote:gan0ix4a]
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> When you say"keeping your BING boot media and use it to restore any existing BING images", do you mean having BING on a floppy or CD, and having to boot to the floppy or CD when you need to restore the BING image? That (to me) sounds like it'd be a bit of a pain.
>>>>
>>>> Jim
>>>
>> Not to interrupt, but Mary would you share with us how you managed to
>> boot from SD card?
>>
>> AlanD
>>
>
So as not to further hijack this thread, I would like to ask Mary a
couple of more questions in the Tech (Misc) group.

AlanD
Bill

Post by Bill »

I didn't see this post until after I posted a question on this same issue, which I have deleted. As I said in that, before I bought BIBM, Terabyte Support said the way to use the older images--which I have hung onto so that I could go back to a clean system and build up to a completely fresh installation of all applications I now desire to have on my computer--was to boot with my BING boot disk and use BING to restore an old image. To test this out, I didn't install BIBM in the EMBR, but rather I created a TBI image of "XP2," the boot partition on hd1, using the BIBM boot disk. I then used the new IFW to put that image on what used to be the boot partition, "XP1," of hd0. That drive, hd0, had the BING EMBR on it. I rebooted my computer and when it got to the BING boot menu, I tried to boot XP1, I received a message saying the partition was not recognizable. Then I put my BIBM boot disk in my DVD drive and rebooted into BIBM. but there was nothing there that could boot XP1 either. Then I booted with my BING boot disk, went into maintenance mode to use the Direct Boot Menu app to boot XP1, but there was no Direct Boot Menu icon.

Now I have a real quandary. I can't test the TBI image on XP1 until, I think, I repace BING in the EMBR on hd0. But if I do that, BIBM may not recognize XP2 on hd1. Then, if XP1 doesn't work, I might have an unbootable computer. I would have to hope that I could use the BING boot disk to reinstall it, and that it would then recognize XP2 on hd1.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

You can always boot from a BING CD/DVD to do the restore. If
you have Version 1 of the Image products, a bootable
CD/DVD/SD card of IFD/IFL can be used as well providing your
computer supports booting with it.

Personally, I would do a new image using the Version 2
product as I restore an image.
Mary

On 2/1/2012 5:43 AM, Bill wrote:
> I didn't see this post until after I posted a question on this same issue, which I have deleted. As I said in that, before I bought BIBM, Terabyte Support said the way to use the older images--which I have hung onto so that I could go back to a clean system and build up to a completely fresh installation of all applications I now desire to have on my computer--was to boot with my BING boot disk and use BING to restore an old image. To test this out, I didn't install BIBM in the EMBR, but rather I created a TBI image of "XP2," the boot partition on hd1, using the BIBM boot disk. I then used the new IFW to put that image on what used to be the boot partition, "XP1," of hd0. That drive, hd0, had the BING EMBR on it. I rebooted my computer and when it got to the BING boot menu, I tried to boot XP1, I received a message saying the partition was not recognizable. Then I put my BIBM boot disk in my DVD drive and rebooted into BIBM. but there was nothing there that could boot XP1
either. Then I booted with my BING boot disk, went into maintenance mode to use the Direct Boot Menu app to boot XP1, but there was no Direct Boot Menu icon.
>
> Now I have a real quandary. I can't test the TBI image on XP1 until, I think, I repace BING in the EMBR on hd0. But if I do that, BIBM may not recognize XP2 on hd1. Then, if XP1 doesn't work, I might have an unbootable computer. I would have to hope that I could use the BING boot disk to reinstall it, and that it would then recognize XP2 on hd1.
>
>
Bill

Post by Bill »

For some reason, my BING CD cannot restore. I am trying to use v 1.61. I have left myself a partition to build a fresh system in. Meanwhile, the system I have an image of is working quite well, so I have something good to restore if the need arises.

Thanks.
Bill
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

You can update to l.87 on your CD if you wish.
That may make a difference.

On 2/2/2012 8:55 PM, Bill wrote:
> For some reason, my BING CD cannot restore. I am trying to use v 1.61. I have left myself a partition to build a fresh system in. Meanwhile, the system I have an image of is working quite well, so I have something good to restore if the need arises.
>
> Thanks.
> Bill
>
>