Converting BIBM-non recognized GPT disk to MBR with TBOSDTS

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Eric

Re: Converting BIBM-non recognized GPT disk to MBR with TBOS

Post by Eric »

The second option ("Set the system partition active") will not create a "System reserved" partition. It will set your partition "Boot" active, which means bootable. You can choose it without worries.
Closing the window (by clicking the X), will just end the script, and thus nothing will happen.
sigi

Post by sigi »

Thank you Eric. I overlooked that the second item addresses the "system partition" and not the "System Reserved partition"
sigi

Post by sigi »

Finally it had worked. I was able to successfully run chgdtype.tbs from within my Win7. The former GPT disk appeared in BIBM as MBR.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
It would have taken some fears from me if I had seen a screenshot of the summary of actions to be performed by the script before (although it is described verbally in KB 492). Perhaps it is present in some tutorial, I don't know. But for the benefit of those readers who have come across this thread e.g. via Google l add this screenshot to the Attachments of this posting (Att.1)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The converted partition containing Win 8.1 could not be resized. An error message was returned telling me that I should run chkdsk /f or scandisk (cf. Att.2).

I then created a Boot Item for Win8 but it could not be booted.

Here is what I did then:

1. I booted the TBWinRE-CD, which I had created in Win7 shortly before the conversion and chose the System Recovery Option in TBLauncher. It produced the repair details shown in Att.3. However, when I started the recovery option and restarted the system I did not perceive any change. Win 8.1 was unbootable as before and the error message upon Resize was still there.

2. So I ran chkdsk /f /r F: from within Win7 (if I remember correctly, the Win8 partition at that time had the drive letter (F:) in Win7). One Login later it was (D:)

3. After restart I ran successfully BCD Edit in BIBM for the Win 8 partition (named "Boot") in accordance with Knowledge Base Article 492.

4. Thereafter I succeeded to boot the Win8 partition, chkdsk was executed and appeared to have stopped after 10 minutes at 11 % (progress bar). But when I came back after 2 hours it showed 100 % and I could login normally.

5. I could verify that the Win8 partition can now be resized However, BIBM and Win8 Disk Manager offer different minimum sizes. I will discuss this in my other current thread http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... 8&start=70
Attachments
Att.1 summary of actions to be performed by chgdtype script.jpg
Att.1 summary of actions to be performed by chgdtype script.jpg (139.93 KiB) Viewed 11794 times
Att.2 BIBM advises chkdsk and sfc after successful chgdtype upon attempt to resize converted ptn.jpg
Att.2 BIBM advises chkdsk and sfc after successful chgdtype upon attempt to resize converted ptn.jpg (229.06 KiB) Viewed 11794 times
Att.3 System Recovery Options - Repair Details produced with TBWinRE.jpg
Att.3 System Recovery Options - Repair Details produced with TBWinRE.jpg (252.73 KiB) Viewed 11794 times
Eric

Post by Eric »

Many thanks for this report!
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

sigi wrote:
> 1. I booted the TBWinRE-CD, which I had created in Win7 shortly before the
> conversion and chose the System Recovery Option in TBLauncher. It produced
> the repair details shown in Att.3. However, when I started the recovery
> option and restarted the system I did not perceive any change. Win 8.1 was
> unbootable as before and the error message upon Resize was still there.

It's possible that the file system errors were causing issues here. However, the Windows Startup Repair tool does not work well when dealing with custom multi-boot systems and often fails in that scenario. For best results with it you would need to have only the one drive connected/enabled (so it only saw the one drive) and have it set as the booting drive. After the repair you would reset the configuration as needed. Personally, I usually perform manual repairs (as you did) since it offers more control over the changes. Also, it's best to use the Startup Repair for the version of Windows being repaired (or a newer version). In this case, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

> 5. I could verify that the Win8 partition can now be resized However, BIBM
> and Win8 Disk Manager offer different minimum sizes.

This is normal. BIBM can move data to make the partition smaller. Disk Management can only shrink to the furthest out data location (may not shrink smaller than half the size, for example).
sigi

Post by sigi »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> sigi wrote:
snip
> > 5. I could verify that the Win8 partition can now be resized However, BIBM
> > and Win8 Disk Manager offer different minimum sizes.
>
> This is normal. BIBM can move data to make the partition smaller. Disk Management can
> only shrink to the furthest out data location (may not shrink smaller than half the
> size, for example).

Thank you for this information, which is good to know because otherwise Microsoft's disk manager could easily deter people from trying to reduce a partition to a reasonable size.

From my part this thread is completed. I will discuss any problems arising from my next planned steps (resizing the Win8.1 partition and copying it to the SSD) in my thread http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... f=2&t=1928 where the topic of the present thread had its origin.

I would like to thank all helpers very much, expecially Paul Purviance without whose patience and valuable guidance I would have abandoned the whole project of rendering my Win8.1 manageable to BIBM.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

So can you summarize. Once you converted from GPT to MBR/EMBR your BIOS
allowed BIBM access to the drive? But when having a GPT, your BIOS blocks
access? If so, can you summarize your mobo and BIOS version.

"sigi" wrote in message news:10430@public.bootitbm...

sigi

Post by sigi »

I would like to ask one minor question before I post the summary.

I have not yet carried out the last step of KB 604 (reagentc /enable). Would you recommend to do this step?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

If you want WinRE activated. If you don't care or don't use it you could leave it off. It's not holding anything up or preventing the conversion from being complete either way.
sigi

Post by sigi »

S U M M A R Y
============

A____ START SITUATION
>>>>>>>>> cf. 1st posting

B____ WHAT IFW AND BIBM SAW PRIOR TO CONVERSION
______(BIBM: saw no GPT disk, setnumhd futile)

>>>>>>>>> cf. Att.1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
I was not able to find a later BIBM photo with Win7 and LxMint installed on the SSD as in the IFW photo. But what is important, the absence of a second (physically built-in) disk can be seen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B____ WHAT IFW AND BIBM HAVE SEEN AFTER CONVERSION
______(BIBM: sees [and can boot] both disks)

>>>>>>>>> cf. Att.2

C____ MY CONVERSION PROCESS
>>>>>>>>> cf. posting "sigi » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:08 am"

Finally it had worked. I was able to successfully run chgdtype.tbs from within my Win7. The former GPT disk appeared in BIBM as MBR.

The converted partition containing Win 8.1 could not be resized. An error message was returned telling me that I should run chkdsk /f or scandisk.

I then created a Boot Item for Win8 but it could not be booted.

Here is what I did then:

1. I booted the TBWinRE-CD, which I had created in Win7 shortly before the conversion and chose the System Recovery Option in TBLauncher. It produced the repair details. However, when I started the recovery option and restarted the system I did not perceive any change. Win 8.1 was unbootable as before and the error message upon Resize was still there.

2. So I ran chkdsk /f /r F: from within Win7 (if I remember correctly, the Win8 partition at that time had the drive letter (F:) in Win7). One Login later it was (D:)

3. After restart I ran successfully BCD Edit in BIBM for the Win 8 partition (named "Boot") in accordance with Knowledge Base Article 492.

4. Thereafter I succeeded to boot the Win8 partition, chkdsk was executed and appeared to have stopped after 10 minutes at 11 % (progress bar). But when I came back after 2 hours it showed 100 % and I could login normally.

5. I could verify that the Win8 partition can now be resized However, BIBM and Win8 Disk Manager offer different minimum sizes.

D____ MY MOBO AND BIOS VERSION

Motherboard
___Manufacturer_________Medion
___Model_______________Akoya E7223 (SOCKET 0)
___Version______________1.0
___Chipset Vendor________Intel
___Chipset Model_________Ivy Bridge
___Chipset Revision_______09
___Southbridge Vendor____Intel
___Southbridge Model_____HM76
___Southbridge Revision___04
___System Temperature____41 °C

BIOS (cf. Att.3)
___Brand________________American Megatrends Inc.
___Version_______________605
___Date_________________10.02.2015

I contacted MEDION Support on the BIOS defect (which causes BIBM to ignore the GPT disk). They told me that the Mobo manufacturer is MSI but could not find the Mobo type for my Notebook in their lists. So if I wanted to pursue this further I could contact their special support line for 1,59 EUR per minute.
Attachments
Att.1  IFW and BIBM views on original disks and partitions (prior to conversion).jpg
Att.1 IFW and BIBM views on original disks and partitions (prior to conversion).jpg (213.31 KiB) Viewed 11739 times
Att.2   both disks with partitions in IFW and BIBM.jpg
Att.2 both disks with partitions in IFW and BIBM.jpg (231.07 KiB) Viewed 11739 times
Att.3   MEDION BIOS.jpg
Att.3 MEDION BIOS.jpg (225.76 KiB) Viewed 11739 times