Install IFL to HD partition

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
BWTB

Install IFL to HD partition

Post by BWTB »

I want to run IFL from a partition on my harddisk, not from USB or CD-ROM.
I know you can boot from a boot-file, as described on this page: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... otfile.htm
But that's not quite the same, as you first have to be logged into a OS to run the bootfile.

I use BING and want to boot into IFL from the BING boot menu.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Re: Install IFL to HD partition

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

The most straight forward way for most users is to do it from the IFL boot media itself by using the 'makeHDD' script. You can follow these steps:

1. Create the IFL boot media from Makedisk in the normal way (either a CD/DVD disc or a USB flash drive is OK)

2. Create a primary partition of about 60 MiB minimum size on the hard drive. It can be either Linux (type 0x83), FAT32, or FAT. It doesn't have to be formatted at this time, but won't hurt anything if it is.

3. Create a boot item for IFL in BING, and then ensure that the IFL partition is loaded in the MBR by attempting to boot the IFL boot item from the boot menu (the boot will fail but will load the IFL partition in the MBR).

4. After step 3, open the View MBR window to verify that the IFL partition is loaded, and also note its position in the MBR (which of the 4 MBR positions it occupies)

5. Boot from the IFL boot media, and exit to the command prompt (or open a terminal window if using the IFL GUI version). Leave the IFL boot media inserted.

6. Run the command 'makeHDD /dev/sdxy' where x is the Linux drive and y is the primary partition number (1 through 4).
Examples:
makeHDD /dev/sda1 (the IFL partition is in the 1st MBR position of hard drive sda (HD0 in BING)
makeHDD /dev/sda3 (the IFL partition is in the 3rd MBR position of hard drive sda (HD0 in BING)
(type just 'makeHDD' for some help text)

7. When you run the command, it will show the size and type of partition that it's going to install to. Make sure that matches what you know it should be. You will need to type 'yes' to confirm installing to that partition.

From there follow the prompts. The script should find your IFL boot media, mount it, and copy files from it to the partition. On reboot, you should be able to boot IFL from the BING boot item.
BWTB

Post by BWTB »

Can I "install" IFL on a HDD with a GPT partiton table, not MBR?
BWTB

Post by BWTB »

...okay, I just tried to use makeHDD....it says it doesn't support UEFI.
Amy other options?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

BWTB wrote:
> ....it says it doesn't support UEFI.

BWTB,

I'm using IFL on a GPT disk in a UEFI system. Create 100 MB of Free Space anywhere on the disk. Use IFW to Copy your IFL UFD partition to the Free Space. Remove the drive letter of the HD IFL partition in Disk Management (optional). Use EasyUEFI Free 2.7 to do One-time boots of IFL. It's surprisingly easy. If you can't get into Windows you can boot IFL from the BIOS Boot Menu.