"Burninig" ISO to UFD

User discussion forum for items related to technology in general.
Bob Coleman

"Burninig" ISO to UFD

Post by Bob Coleman »

I recently burned a memtest86+ ISO to CD and used the CD to run mermtest86+.

Does anyone here know how to, if possible, "burn" the ISO to UFD?

This question is partly about convenience and partly due to thinking about possibly having a PC without a CD drive and is really more a generic question about ISOs and UFDs than about memtest86+ in particular.
Brian K

Re: "Burninig" ISO to UFD

Post by Brian K »

Bob,

Rufus works well...

https://rufus.ie/en_US/

You can drag the ISO into the Boot Selection field. Or click Select. In Partition Scheme, choose MBR if you aren't using a UEFI system for the UFD.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote:
> Rufus works well...

Probably so, but not for memtest86+.

"This image is either non-bootable, or it uses a boot or compression method that is not supprted by Rufus ..."
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Etcher is another app for ISO to UFD. I haven't tried it...

https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Etcher doesn't work either.

"It looks like this is not a bootable image. The image does not appear to contain a partition table, and might not be recognized or bootable by your device."

If I Continue anyway, it claims to have successfully "flashed" the device, but there are no visible files on the device (UFD) and it doesn't appear to be bootable.

I had actually tried a couple of other things. I don't even remember what they were, but none were successful.

I'm beginning to think that all these things are oriented toward transferring an OS installation ISO to UFD and may not work for anything else. What I have is definitely an valid ISO in some sense because I can burn it to CD and then boot the CD.