Virtual Machine Questions Part Deux...Windows 7

User discussion forum for items related to technology in general.
johnstrasser

Virtual Machine Questions Part Deux...Windows 7

Post by johnstrasser »

Hi Folks,

As I've mentioned in other posts, I've switched over to Linux (luvin the penguin gotta say...) and now I'm (finally) in the process of converting all my Windows 7 and XP machines over to VMs.

Following the advice of @shawn181 in my other post on this topic [viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3074] I'm using the kvm/qemu toolset. Took some figuring but I now have a bunch of linux vms all playing happily along.

I've spent a few hours the other day looking around for retail copies of windows 7 to change the product key (from oem to retail) before I start removing drivers, our own tbs scripting, and whatnot in preparation. Of course, finding Shangri La or Atlantis appears to be a simpler endeavor. I'll continue to do that because at some point I can see possibly using a different hypervisor (maybe qubes) as my computers change in the future. And I'd rather not have to jump though all sorts of hoops forever.

I've already pulled out the MachineGuid from the registry and the actual product key (as opposed to the one on the sticker) from both the registry and bios. and a whole bunch of other settings.

Has anyone successfully been able to *convert* an oem install of windows 7 into a virtual machine? And what advice can you share. Thanks.
TeraByte Support

Re: Virtual Machine Questions Part Deux...Windows 7

Post by TeraByte Support »

I don't think the MS EULA allows the OEM version to be installed on
anything but the OEM machine. You'd need to check with Microsoft or a
Lawyer. You'll need a retail version.

On 11/11/2019 8:26 AM, johnstrasser wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> As I've mentioned in other posts, I've switched over to Linux (luvin the penguin gotta say...) and now I'm (finally) in the process of converting all my Windows 7 and XP machines over to VMs.
>
> Following the advice of @shawn181 in my other post on this topic [https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3074] I'm using the kvm/qemu toolset. Took some figuring but I now have a bunch of linux vms all playing happily along.
>
> I've spent a few hours the other day looking around for retail copies of windows 7 to change the product key (from oem to retail) before I start removing drivers, our own tbs scripting, and whatnot in preparation. Of course, finding Shangri La or Atlantis appears to be a simpler endeavor. I'll continue to do that because at some point I can see possibly using a different hypervisor (maybe qubes) as my computers change in the future. And I'd rather not have to jump though all sorts of hoops forever.
>
> I've already pulled out the MachineGuid from the registry and the actual product key (as opposed to the one on the sticker) from both the registry and bios. and a whole bunch of other settings.
>
> Has anyone successfully been able to *convert* an oem install of windows 7 into a virtual machine? And what advice can you share. Thanks.
>
>

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian »

johnstrasser wrote:
> I've spent a few hours the other day looking around for retail copies of windows 7.

Last year I wanted two copies of Windows 7 to run on systems with Skylake processors. I purchased them from UK ebay. There seem to be two price levels:

(1) Single-disk OEM versions that you may or may not be able to activate on your system. These provide only a single version of Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit), and once activated they cannot be moved to another system. They are priced around £5 to £10.

(2) Full retail double-disk versions that have been "pre-loved". These include both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, and can be moved from one system to another. The catch is that the prices are similar to the original prices when these products were new (£80 to £100 or more).

I think that you need to exercise some care when purchasing software from ebay, and I chose to buy full retail versions from what appeared to be genuine private sellers selling a single copy, and resident in my country (the UK). I personally would not buy from sellers elsewhere in the world, or selling multiple copies, or not private sellers. Both of the copies that I purchased have activated without problem.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
johnstrasser

Post by johnstrasser »

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I'm looking to do - buy some retail copies. And I need this for 3 computers (1 laptop, 2 desktops)

OEM explicitly is tied to the motherboard. There's no doubt about that. And while I could (perfectly legally) purchase another OEM copy and use that to activate the VM I'd have to do it again if I change hypervisor. And that holds even if you're using the hypervisor to run it directly off your physical hardware so you can access it whilst running another OS (regardless of what host OS you're using).

I figured the prices will be similar. I even found a command line (slui 4) which triggers the activation wizard. It just kept saying my system is validated and didn't give me any phone numbers to call where I would happily pay MS for the new lic. keys. [sigh]

Right now I'm using Bootit to bounce between different Windows and Linux configs on the same machine. But that motherboard is only going to last so long...

I'll give my amazon search fu a few days to recharge (for whatever reason I couldn't find any retail copies) and give ebay a try.

Thanks again.

PS: 1 thing's for sure, going forward if I ever need a current version of windows again [shudder], getting the full retail version is the way to go. No upgrade versions, no oem, retail.
johnstrasser

Post by johnstrasser »

So to follow up...MS refused to accept my money as they will no longer sell Win 7 licenses of any sort. They'll activate by phone but that's it.

...sigh...

Off to Amazon and ebay again.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 11:45:45 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
johnstrasser disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Off to Amazon and ebay again.

I'd use the Pirate Bay in the face of such intransigence.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**