New Dell Inspiron 13 5000 - Cannot see external DVD ?

User discussion forum for items related to technology in general.
ohaya

New Dell Inspiron 13 5000 - Cannot see external DVD ?

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

I just got a n Dell Inspiron 13 5000 laptop, and I have an external USB DVD drive attached, but when I boot the system, it doesn't even seem to see the DVD. Does anyone have this same laptop and if so, do you know how I can get it to boot the DVD?

Thanks,
Jim
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: New Dell Inspiron 13 5000 - Cannot see external DVD ?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

I don't have that laptop so this is just general info.

Is there an option in the BIOS to have it initialize USB drives? Some systems don't to speed up booting. Does the drive show up in the BIOS?

May also make a difference if it's connected to a USB 2 port vs. USB 3 (assuming there are any USB 2 ports) or USB 3 ports on a different controller (if available).
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

I think I had to switch the BIOS back to legacy to see the DVD (a Windows 10 installation DVD, made by burning from an ISO).

Is that normal with UEFI-enabled laptops? I mean do the installation DVDs need to be formatted differently so the UEFI-enabled laptop can "see" the DVDs?

I assume that is the case...and that is the reason I switch the laptop back to legacy mode.
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

I just found this (too late for me tho), which may explain, at least for Dell laptops like mine:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/gu ... 0-?lang=en

I did not do that (add boot option) because I was unaware of it but now am switched to legacy/secure boot off, so this is OBE for me for now.