Please fix the Forum's list of "too common words" for search

User discussion forum for items related to technology in general.
Muad'Dib

Please fix the Forum's list of "too common words" for search

Post by Muad'Dib »

I'm trying to search through the forum for more information (so I don't have to ask questions already asked and answered), but when I click search, I get results like this:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: phylock.
Really? PHYLock is too common? :D
I had similar results with copy and MBR, all of which are logical terms to search for on this board. I can't even search for those terms using the "Topic Titles Only" parameter. I'm assuming with a word like phylock on the list, this is something the board admins have control over.

I'd rather get search results with too many posts (because I am searching for a very common word), than not be able to use search terms that could help me find relevant posts!

Thanks!
M'D

P.S. I know this isn't a "Technology" topic, but of the sections available, this seems the best fit.
Last edited by Muad'Dib on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Please fix the Forum's list of "too common words" for se

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You can use a wildcard to help with the search. For example: phylock*, mbr*, *mbr, copy*
aussieboykie

Post by aussieboykie »

This is a common problem with phpBB forums. Try this method in a Google search box...

phylock site:http://www.terabyteunlimited.com

Regards, AB
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:You can use a wildcard to help with the search. For example: phylock*, mbr*, *mbr, copy*
Thanks Paul. That's a usable work-around!

aussieboykie,
The Google site search can help, but...
1) If I want to only search in the forums, I'll need to use:
phylock site:http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/

However...
2) Then I don't have the other forum search options available (like topic only).

But both methods can be helpful, thanks!