Quicken Feedback

User discussion forum for items related to technology in general.

Quicken Feedback

Postby AlanD » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks, Mary
for alerting the Quicken users among us to a possible implosion.

I have used Quicken for over ten years, and am currently using 2014
Deluxe. Quicken has always done the job for me, with minor irritants
along the way, but issues with their so-called Tech Support are legion.
I have always updated every three years (per their sunset doctrines),
and was going to purchase 2017 at end of this year, but not now.

I would hope that those of us who use Quicken, and who feel motivated to
either stay put, or to make a move to a new app, would let all the
interested TBI users of their experiences.

I have done some preliminary investigating and to me the relatively new
app called CountAbout (countabout dot com) is the most promising for me,
and the way I use Quicken.

Two of the most valuable pieces of feed back would be how a new app
plays with Quicken during any investigatory phases, and whether
successful importing of Quicken files can be accomplished.

AlanD

AlanD
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:45 am

Re: Quicken Feedback

Postby mjnelson99 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:28 am

For more feedback on Quicken, check out the Amazon reviews. I am pretty
sure those with poor results will be more vocal than those whose
experience goes smoothly.

Countabout looks interesting except that they use Intuit for accessing
different banks.

I am not sure I want my bank account info online at this point.

I now manually update for both Quicken & Microsoft Money. I saw that Win
10 is not supposed to handle Money. I think I did install with one of
the preview versions of Win 10 using compatibility mode.
Mary

On 1/18/2016 10:55 AM, AlanD wrote:
> Thanks, Mary
> for alerting the Quicken users among us to a possible implosion.
>
> I have used Quicken for over ten years, and am currently using 2014
> Deluxe. Quicken has always done the job for me, with minor irritants
> along the way, but issues with their so-called Tech Support are legion.
> I have always updated every three years (per their sunset doctrines),
> and was going to purchase 2017 at end of this year, but not now.
>
> I would hope that those of us who use Quicken, and who feel motivated to
> either stay put, or to make a move to a new app, would let all the
> interested TBI users of their experiences.
>
> I have done some preliminary investigating and to me the relatively new
> app called CountAbout (countabout dot com) is the most promising for me,
> and the way I use Quicken.
>
> Two of the most valuable pieces of feed back would be how a new app
> plays with Quicken during any investigatory phases, and whether
> successful importing of Quicken files can be accomplished.
>
> AlanD
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Quicken Feedback

Postby AlanD » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:11 am

Mary,

Please explain what you mean when you say that you "manually" update
Quicken and Money

I manually access my banks, credit cards and brokerages via Quicken
[online] at least three times a week for outgoing payments and/or
incoming account balances and transaction updates.

I suppose that "Intuit" makes all this [online stuff] happen, which is
how they can force the 3-YR cycle to new software.

I really have had no complaints [serious ones, that is].

At a glance, it seems that the only significant difference with
CountAbout is that they automatically provide account downloads

Regards my OS, I will use Windows 7 until MS drags me kicking and
screaming into Windows 11 or something.

On 2016-01-18 1:28 PM, MJNelson wrote:
> For more feedback on Quicken, check out the Amazon reviews. I am pretty
> sure those with poor results will be more vocal than those whose
> experience goes smoothly.
>
> Countabout looks interesting except that they use Intuit for accessing
> different banks.
>
> I am not sure I want my bank account info online at this point.
>
> I now manually update for both Quicken & Microsoft Money. I saw that Win
> 10 is not supposed to handle Money. I think I did install with one of
> the preview versions of Win 10 using compatibility mode.
> Mary
>
> On 1/18/2016 10:55 AM, AlanD wrote:
>> Thanks, Mary
>> for alerting the Quicken users among us to a possible implosion.
>>
>> I have used Quicken for over ten years, and am currently using 2014
>> Deluxe. Quicken has always done the job for me, with minor irritants
>> along the way, but issues with their so-called Tech Support are legion.
>> I have always updated every three years (per their sunset doctrines),
>> and was going to purchase 2017 at end of this year, but not now.
>>
>> I would hope that those of us who use Quicken, and who feel motivated to
>> either stay put, or to make a move to a new app, would let all the
>> interested TBI users of their experiences.
>>
>> I have done some preliminary investigating and to me the relatively new
>> app called CountAbout (countabout dot com) is the most promising for me,
>> and the way I use Quicken.
>>
>> Two of the most valuable pieces of feed back would be how a new app
>> plays with Quicken during any investigatory phases, and whether
>> successful importing of Quicken files can be accomplished.
>>
>> AlanD
>>
>>
>
>

AlanD
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:45 am

Re: Quicken Feedback

Postby mjnelson99 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:15 am

I go into my bank's online service. There is a page to download
different file types like Quicken & Quickbooks. I could get a file Excel
could open or possibly the spreadsheet in Libre Office.

Then I manually open the file in Quicken or Money. I need to change the
file type to get the download into Money since my bank stopped giving
that file type. So far, changing the extension from that of Quicken to
that of Money works. When that stops, I would probably use Excel and
manually change each item. That could be a pain if you have a huge
checking account.
Mary

On 1/20/2016 10:11 AM, AlanD wrote:
> Mary,
>
> Please explain what you mean when you say that you "manually" update
> Quicken and Money
>
> I manually access my banks, credit cards and brokerages via Quicken
> [online] at least three times a week for outgoing payments and/or
> incoming account balances and transaction updates.
>
> I suppose that "Intuit" makes all this [online stuff] happen, which is
> how they can force the 3-YR cycle to new software.
>
> I really have had no complaints [serious ones, that is].
>
> At a glance, it seems that the only significant difference with
> CountAbout is that they automatically provide account downloads
>
> Regards my OS, I will use Windows 7 until MS drags me kicking and
> screaming into Windows 11 or something.
>
> On 2016-01-18 1:28 PM, MJNelson wrote:
>> For more feedback on Quicken, check out the Amazon reviews. I am pretty
>> sure those with poor results will be more vocal than those whose
>> experience goes smoothly.
>>
>> Countabout looks interesting except that they use Intuit for accessing
>> different banks.
>>
>> I am not sure I want my bank account info online at this point.
>>
>> I now manually update for both Quicken & Microsoft Money. I saw that Win
>> 10 is not supposed to handle Money. I think I did install with one of
>> the preview versions of Win 10 using compatibility mode.
>> Mary
>>
>> On 1/18/2016 10:55 AM, AlanD wrote:
>>> Thanks, Mary
>>> for alerting the Quicken users among us to a possible implosion.
>>>
>>> I have used Quicken for over ten years, and am currently using 2014
>>> Deluxe. Quicken has always done the job for me, with minor irritants
>>> along the way, but issues with their so-called Tech Support are legion.
>>> I have always updated every three years (per their sunset doctrines),
>>> and was going to purchase 2017 at end of this year, but not now.
>>>
>>> I would hope that those of us who use Quicken, and who feel motivated to
>>> either stay put, or to make a move to a new app, would let all the
>>> interested TBI users of their experiences.
>>>
>>> I have done some preliminary investigating and to me the relatively new
>>> app called CountAbout (countabout dot com) is the most promising for me,
>>> and the way I use Quicken.
>>>
>>> Two of the most valuable pieces of feed back would be how a new app
>>> plays with Quicken during any investigatory phases, and whether
>>> successful importing of Quicken files can be accomplished.
>>>
>>> AlanD
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm


Return to Technology