Copy & rename partition

User discussion and information resource forum for the TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite.
Brian K

Re: Copy & rename partition

Post by Brian K »

Or you could give your parents a USB flash drive with a menu

Backup OS
Restore OS
Eric

Post by Eric »

What make the ID changed?
I mean: when you restore in auto mode, you specify an ID of destination
(unless you want to retore to the first space large enough). This ID
cannot change like that just after the restore complete?
How do you select the destination? You may have something to determine it?

In any case, you can use the GetHdInfo() function to query all the
partitions and volumes of your drive.

> HI. Thanks that works great, but the ID has changed from its original 0x82 to 0x85. Is there a command to change the ID?
>
> The reason is I would like to automate this process with a script to execute the commands and if the ID of partition 0x82 changes each time I backup to it, I won't be able to refer to that partition in the copy command.
> i.e. copy partition 0 0x83 0 0x82
>
>

manny4

Post by manny4 »

Brian K wrote:You could backup and restore your parents' computer using a variation of this method. I use it at times over our home network.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... otfile.htm
OK thanks, that’s a real useful feature. Tried it yesterday and it works really well. Also tried making a script with the backup and rename commands and ran it from a second OS and that worked too.
However when I tried the same script with the RUN option in the bootitBM maintenance menu it didn’t work, maybe the commands have to be changed slightly. Will look into that.

Thanks again for your help
manny4

Post by manny4 »

It looks like I had an older version of TBOSDT and the copy command (copy partition 0 0x83 0 0x82) changed the ID, it gave a new ID to the partition it copies to. On typing help for the set vol command that you mentioned, it said it was not implemented by my version, so upgraded to the free/trial version from web site. This version did support the set vol command but the copy partition command and del partition command no longer worked.
However, If I do the copy partition via IFW/IFD and use a command, it does not change the ID, but I do still have to rename the partition with the set vol command.
Will take a look at GerHdInfo(). Thanks for your help.

Eric wrote:What make the ID changed?
I mean: when you restore in auto mode, you specify an ID of destination
(unless you want to retore to the first space large enough). This ID
cannot change like that just after the restore complete?
How do you select the destination? You may have something to determine it?

In any case, you can use the GetHdInfo() function to query all the
partitions and volumes of your drive.

> HI. Thanks that works great, but the ID has changed from its original 0x82 to 0x85. Is there a command to change the ID?
>
> The reason is I would like to automate this process with a script to execute the commands and if the ID of partition 0x82 changes each time I backup to it, I won't be able to refer to that partition in the copy command.
> i.e. copy partition 0 0x83 0 0x82
>
>
Eric

Post by Eric »

manny4 wrote:On typing help for the set vol command that you mentioned, it said it was not implemented by my version, so upgraded to the free/trial version from web site. This version did support the set vol command but the copy partition command and del partition command no longer worked.
The "Pro for BootIt" version supports both command. But I think it's better to use IFW/IFD to do the copy.
celavey

Post by celavey »

Do you have a patch for this one so it will be done easily?