Using TBOSDT to change Windows from RAID to AHCI

User discussion and information resource forum for the TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite.
Brian K

Re: Using TBOSDT to change Windows from RAID to AHCI

Post by Brian K »

Tim, for what it's worth, can your try this?
You already have an image of the Windows partition.
In the BIOS, change RAID to AHCI.
Boot into IFL and restore the Windows partition.
Still in IFL, open OSDTool.
Remove all installed drivers.
Install the AHCI drivers. Only the AHCI drivers.
Restart

If you want to run fixboot. Open Terminal in IFL...
tbosdt fixboot.tbs
Eric

Post by Eric »

timg11 wrote:
> I see there is a fixboot.tbs option in TBOSDT, but when I select it, I get
> "script not found, find manually".

The fixboot script won't help in your case. It is usefull when Windows doesn't start at all (cannot be find for ex.). In your case, it starts (but fails because of a missing driver).
If you have a working Windows on this computer, you can also use the osddiag.tbs script to compare with the non-working one and see what critical drivers are missing. Or send us the SYSTEM registries so we can have a look.
Have you search in the Dell WebSite for drivers? What is the exact model of you computer?
timg11

Post by timg11 »

Brian K wrote:
> Boot into IFL and restore the Windows partition.

@Brian K, I'm not sure why restoring the Windows partition again would provide any benefit, since it is already bootable in RAID mode. Is the IFL restore aware of the BIOS setting and is able to modify the windows installation to work in AHCI mode? For example would I select restore options such as "Update BOOT.INI" or "Update Boot Partition"?

If I did restore Windows again, would I need to restore all four partitions, or just the primary NTFS data partition?
Last edited by timg11 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timg11

Post by timg11 »

@Eric, thanks for the tip on osddiag.tbs. To use that I would switch the BIOS to AHCI, try to boot Windows, then boot back to IFL and run the script to see what happened? I have boot logging on, but since it won't boot, I can't see the log, and when it boots successfully (with RAID), the failed boot log is replaced.

The system is Dell Latitude 7480, and I have downloaded the latest drivers and installed them into the working Windows (under RAID).

Exactly how would I send the SYSTEM registries? Is it accessible in the non-bootable state from IFL?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Tim,

I think you have a resemblance to restoring to dissimilar hardware where Removing all installed drivers is appropriate. If you remove all installed drivers on a system that has been booting, the system will no longer boot. But if you remove the drivers on a system that has just had an image restore (and hasn't been allowed to restart) then the system will boot.

At least your RAID drivers will be out of the way and you will only have AHCI drivers.
timg11

Post by timg11 »

@Brian K, you're a genius! That was it.
From TBOSDT, I used remove all drivers, then installed only the AHCI driver. Then Windows booted right up.
I opened Device Manager and saw it refreshing repeatedly as Windows loaded all the drivers again. The USB camera driver is now broken with Error 19 in Device Manager, but that's a minor concern. Now I can proceed towards installing TB Boot Manager and make it dual boot with Ubuntu. Actually I want to try triple boot and have IFL as a boot option since the system is unreliable with F2 or F12 boot control.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Very glad to see it solved the issue.
About your camera, you may try to install the usbvideo.inf driver.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Tim, I'm delighted it worked. Hopefully it will be easy from now.
Eric

Post by Eric »

For my knowledge: was it Windows 7 or WIndows 10? Thanks in advance.
timg11

Post by timg11 »

Eric wrote:
> For my knowledge: was it Windows 7 or WIndows 10? Thanks in advance.

Windows 10.