Restoring an image between two very similar computers

User discussion and information resource forum for the TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite.
JohnHace

Restoring an image between two very similar computers

Post by JohnHace »

I have a Dell Inspiron 17 7779 with Core i7 7th Gen and 512 GB SATA drive. I like it very much. Also, my wife likes it and wanted one like it. In shopping for her, I found they now have a 7786 model. It has a faster Core i7 8th Gen with a 512 GB NVMe drive. Since my wife doesn't need the extra speed, I'd like to move all of my applications and data to the new computer and give her my older one. BTW, both computers are Windows 10 Pro.

Since the computers are so similar, I was wondering if I can simply create an image of my drive on the older one, restore it to the newer one and boot it? I would think the NVMe would need a different driver than my SATA drive. Do you think the most updated version of Windows 10 (Build 17134) would already have the correct drivers? Do you think the newer CPU would need any driver update?

Also, if it runs, do I need to be concerned about running two computers with the same Windows serial number?

Thanks for any help.
DrTeeth

Re: Restoring an image between two very similar computers

Post by DrTeeth »

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 09:27:48 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
JohnHace disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Since the computers are so similar, I was wondering if I can simply create an image of my drive on the older one, restore it to the newer one and boot it?

I regularly swap my hard drives between computers without any issue.
The only exceptions to date are 1) Third party disk chipset drivers
MUST be uninstalled and replaced with the plain MSoft ones in Win XP
and 2) There are no USB drivers (yet) for Win 7 on a Z390 chipset. All
distros work okay apart from Linux Mint Debian Edition, which cannot
"see" my Ethernet port.
--
Cheers

DrT

*** Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and may your God go with you! ***