Video on how to restore to different hardware.

User discussion and information resource forum for the TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite.
TeraByte Support

Video on how to restore to different hardware.

Post by TeraByte Support »

A new video was released today that shows how to use the OSDTOOL script and
Image for Linux to restore to different hardware.

This is located at:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/#iflosdtoolsample

DrTeeth

Re: Video on how to restore to different hardware.

Post by DrTeeth »

On Wed, 9 May 2012 21:40:49 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
keiooz disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I am just wondering how to create such video? Thanks for sharing by the way.
>
www.screenpresso.com - BRILLIANT software. I HATE DRM and this prog
has it. It can be installed on 5 PCs and is the best screencast/screen
capture program I have come across. Many others out there. Keep an eye
on www.bitsdujour.com for crazy discounts.
--

Cheers

DrT
celavey

Post by celavey »

Hi there. Do you have this type of video posted in Youtube?
Beemusic

Post by Beemusic »

I really appreciate your video on how to restore to different hardware. Sure made the process look much simpler than I was imagining. As I will be using this for servers as you did in your video, that worked out great. However I do have a question; you said you had already copied the drivers your HP server was going to need to your <boot> USB stick. Can you advise where to locate said drivers? I too would be swapping either from Dell to HP or HP to Dell, and I don't have a clue where to find the drivers the systems will need (.inf; .sys etc.)
Would you please advise me where I would go to find and help me identify which drivers I would need. (Are we talking storage drivers? Raid drivers? processor drivers? what are the drivers that you copied to the USB to use on the "new" server)?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Beemusic
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

They would be the storage drivers (AHCI, RAID, etc.) required to enable Windows to boot and run on the system (.inf type, with supporting files). They need to be for the same Windows version and platform (x86/x64) as the installed Windows system. Usually, the drivers are available for download from the system or board manufacturer. They are the same drivers you'd have to inject/install during a Windows installation if Windows didn't include drivers for the controller.
Beemusic

Post by Beemusic »

Paul,

Thanks for that info. I assumed it would be the storage drivers, (but you know how assumptions work), so just wanted to verify. I believe you are correct that the drivers can be found/downloaded from the manufacturer. By your video, it appears that the drivers will need to be extracted so the .inf etc. are readily available.
Image for Windows is such a great program, it's the "restore to dissimilar hardware" that really makes or breaks a program for production use. I've been using Acronis since it is all GUI driven and very easy to "check a box" and have it strip the drivers during the restore. Having it be fairly easy using TBOSDTS make s Image for Windows a very viable program to promote to the businesses I support. I will increase your sales over the next year!
Thanks for your rapid response and continued good customer support!
Beemusic
cesanne

Post by cesanne »

Does this method work on Windows 6, i.e., Windows 2008, etc.?
Eric

Post by Eric »

Supposingly, yes.
But Windows 8 (and 8.1, and 2008) contains already many drivers. So you may not need aditionnal ones.