how do we FULLY remove ifw? leaves lic key behind

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
zfactor

how do we FULLY remove ifw? leaves lic key behind

Post by zfactor »

what i mean is not how we uninstall it... but i am giving my older desktop to a friend and it currently has my ifw installed. i went ahead and removed ifw but now i see if someone re-installs it they will be using my lic key since it does not ask for a new key if it gets reinstalled. i want to uninstall and REMOVE my lic key from this system. i dont want someone to just go ahead and reinstall the program since they know i use it and be able to have use of my lic key. i really think that when a uninstall is done it should also remove the lic key.

so can someone from terabyte please contact me and help me to remove my lic key from this system since i really dont want to reinstall windows before giving it to him and i also dont want someone to have the key i paid for. i will be much more cautious of what system i install it on in the future if there is no easy way to remove the lic key or what if i had wanted to change the lic key to a different one? i actually own 3 separate keys to ifw???

someone please get back to me as to how to do this. there has to be some way to fully remove it???

thank you
George

Re: how do we FULLY remove ifw? leaves lic key behind

Post by George »

On 1/13/2013 6:29 PM, zfactor wrote:
> what i mean is not how we uninstall it... but i am giving my older desktop to a friend and it currently has my ifw installed. i went ahead and removed ifw but now i see if someone re-installs it they will be using my lic key since it does not ask for a new key if it gets reinstalled. i want to uninstall and REMOVE my lic key from this system. i dont want someone to just go ahead and reinstall the program since they know i use it and be able to have use of my lic key. i really think that when a uninstall is done it should also remove the lic key.
>
> so can someone from terabyte please contact me and help me to remove my lic key from this system since i really dont want to reinstall windows before giving it to him and i also dont want someone to have the key i paid for. i will be much more cautious of what system i install it on in the future if there is no easy way to remove the lic key or what if i had wanted to change the lic key to a different one? i actually own 3 separate keys to ifw???
>
> someone please get back to me as to how to do this. there has to be some way to fully remove it???
>
> thank you
>
>

I'm not part of the Terabyte team but I am a long-time user of all their
products.
I thought the license key was in the xxx.ini file in IFW, IFD, and IFL.
If it's in the MS registry, I'd use ccleaner (a Piriform product) and
search the registry for the license key (or a part of it.) (Always back
up the registry first to protect you from yourself.)
If you have the time, after you delete the product(s) from your drives,
search all files for the license key (or part.)
I welcome other on-topic suggestions from the group.

George
---
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and
Those who don't.
zfactor

Post by zfactor »

already have done all you mentioned used ccleaner, jv16, auslogics, searched the registry manually, made sure all files related to ifw were deleted and any and all registry keys were deleted. im actually a tech and have been for almost 26 years and im a former ibm'er so im not at all new to this i also know a few programming languages. i have searched the registry for "terabyte", my registered name, the lic key, parts of it etc etc... nothing has been found. so i then reinstalled it and rebooted and when i started ifw it once again did not ask me for the key and just started right up. so where in the heck is the lic key stored and how do i get rid of it i literally searched every inch of the hard drive and deleted anything and everything i could find. there were a number of registry entries left after the uninstall and made sure they were all removed. i just dont have the time right now to do a full windows reinstall and really want to give this to him for his kids to get their school work done since his just died. but i can not give this to anyone with my personal lic keys on it. i may have to just format it and give it to him if i cant remove this lic key but this is no reason we should not be able to remove the key somehow.....
George

Post by George »

When you re-installed it, did you use download and install the trial
version of the product? Hopefully, you didn't re-install your licensed
version.

George

There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
Those who understand binary,
and those who don't.

On 01/13/2013 06:29 PM, zfactor wrote:
> what i mean is not how we uninstall it... but i am giving my older desktop to a friend and it currently has my ifw installed. i went ahead and removed ifw but now i see if someone re-installs it they will be using my lic key since it does not ask for a new key if it gets reinstalled. i want to uninstall and REMOVE my lic key from this system. i dont want someone to just go ahead and reinstall the program since they know i use it and be able to have use of my lic key. i really think that when a uninstall is done it should also remove the lic key.
>
> so can someone from terabyte please contact me and help me to remove my lic key from this system since i really dont want to reinstall windows before giving it to him and i also dont want someone to have the key i paid for. i will be much more cautious of what system i install it on in the future if there is no easy way to remove the lic key or what if i had wanted to change the lic key to a different one? i actually own 3 separate keys to ifw???
>
> someone please get back to me as to how to do this. there has to be some way to fully remove it???
>
> thank you
>
>
zfactor

Post by zfactor »

see thats my point it doesnt matter now if i install the trial or not. no matter which one i install the lic is still there as well even if i install a older version etc.. after installation it no longer asks for the lic key anymore after you open it for the first time. trial or not. it just opens like normal. this is why i want to remove my lic from this system. it installs as registered already it never asks me for the key now...

it now goes like this:

uninstall - reboot - reinstall non trial- does not ask for key anymore and opens to the main gui.

uninstall - reboot - reinstall trial version - same does not ask for key anymore and opens to the main gui.

so somewhere my lic key is still being retained and i want to remove it so someone else can not simply install it and use it with my personal lic key..
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:45:00 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
zfactor disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>and i want to remove it so someone else can not simply install it and use it with my personal lic key..

Whilst I would also like to remove that information; what are the
chances of somebody finding out the there is a valid licence lurking
for IfW? Could be a non-issue unless he has heard of TBU.

I *never* pass on a PC with an old OS for security reasons alone.

TBH, you'd do your pal more of a favour by vaping the OS and giving
him a pristine machine with the latest and best drivers. Even if you
don't have an install disk, you WILL have a valid licence so you can
get an install CD from the 'usual sources'.
--

Cheers

DrT
zfactor

Post by zfactor »

he needs it in a hurry and he knows i use ifw. he may go ahead and reinstall it. why is there no way to remove this info. that is whats ridiculous that this info can not be easily removed from the system. what happens if someone say needs to enter a different lic key? he will prob also use ifw and will buy his own lic key but the way it sits he will not be able to enter his own key?? i dont have time to re do the whole os right now today and his kids have projects due. i will wipe the os at a later date for him but he needs this to use for a bit so his kids can finish up work they have to do. i have wiped everything else out that needs to be wiped out.

doesnt matter the reason there should be a way to REMOVE my lic key from the system. should not even need a reason. so in order to remove it i have to do a format?? ridiculous imo.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

If you successfully removed the license info and then
installed the trial version, it WOULD open, would it not?

Make sure you have removed stuff again and ONLY install the
trial version noticing on what it says. I don't know what
that should be myself.

Somewhere it should indicate unlicensed.
Mary

On 1/14/2013 2:35 PM, zfactor wrote:
> he needs it in a hurry and he knows i use ifw. he may go ahead and reinstall it. why is there no way to remove this info. that is whats ridiculous that this info can not be easily removed from the system. what happens if someone say needs to enter a different lic key? he will prob also use ifw and will buy his own lic key but the way it sits he will not be able to enter his own key?? i dont have time to re do the whole os right now today and his kids have projects due. i will wipe the os at a later date for him but he needs this to use for a bit so his kids can finish up work they have to do. i have wiped everything else out that needs to be wiped out.
>
> doesnt matter the reason there should be a way to REMOVE my lic key from the system. should not even need a reason. so in order to remove it i have to do a format?? ridiculous imo.
>
>
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

I could probably do a clean install of Win 7 providing I
have necessary drivers in about than 1-2 hours, limiting
what programs I installed in addition to the OS.

If you want to be kind, create an image afterward using an
external booting CD/SD card or whatever will work for you.

If your friend is PC friendly, let HIM do the MS updates
which is what will take the time.

There is an ISO download of Win 7 SP 1, x86 & x64 that would
probably work with the current install code.

I know it worked for me clean installing a Family Pack version.
Mary

On 1/14/2013 4:48 PM, mjnelson99 wrote:
> If you successfully removed the license info and then
> installed the trial version, it WOULD open, would it not?
>
> Make sure you have removed stuff again and ONLY install the
> trial version noticing on what it says. I don't know what
> that should be myself.
>
> Somewhere it should indicate unlicensed.
> Mary
>
> On 1/14/2013 2:35 PM, zfactor wrote:
>> he needs it in a hurry and he knows i use ifw. he may go ahead and reinstall it. why is there no way to remove this info. that is whats ridiculous that this info can not be easily removed from the system. what happens if someone say needs to enter a different lic key? he will prob also use ifw and will buy his own lic key but the way it sits he will not be able to enter his own key?? i dont have time to re do the whole os right now today and his kids have projects due. i will wipe the os at a later date for him but he needs this to use for a bit so his kids can finish up work they have to do. i have wiped everything else out that needs to be wiped out.
>>
>> doesnt matter the reason there should be a way to REMOVE my lic key from the system. should not even need a reason. so in order to remove it i have to do a format?? ridiculous imo.
>>
>>
>
>
zfactor

Post by zfactor »

since no one from terabyte will respond to this ill be reinstalling on a fresh system and monitoring the entire install to see EXACTLY what goes where and i will figure this out. as i said im versed in a few languages programming wise and i dont have the time to do this but im frustrated and i dont like to be frustrated. it drives me nuts till i figure it out so i will on my own. nevermind. ill have it figured out soon enough when things drive me nuts i figure them out...
Last edited by zfactor on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.