IFD and the product key

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
rseiler

IFD and the product key

Post by rseiler »

I can't seem to find the answer to this: does the product key always have to be input when backing up with IFD (menu UI)? Because, if it isn't, I'm at a loss. If it is, why?

I do have it in IFD.INI when using Makedisk, so I no longer have to enter it there, and it's in the IFD.INI that exists on the bootable media, though I think it wasn't by default (which may be a hint that the answer to my question is 'yes'). I've read that you don't have to enter it for a restore, at least, but I haven't tested that yet.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: IFD and the product key

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

When you boot IFD, if it finds the key and it's valid it won't ask for it. Otherwise, it will ask for it.

Have you verified that the key you have in the IFD.INI file is correct (no typos)?

Otherwise, if you remove the IFD.INI file (e.g. move to a different folder) and then create new boot media (enter the key when requested), does it boot up normally and not ask for the key?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

rseiler wrote:
> I can't seem to find the answer to this: does the product key always have
> to be input when backing up with IFD (menu UI)? Because, if it isn't, I'm
> at a loss. If it is, why?
>
> I do have it in IFD.INI when using Makedisk, so I no longer have to enter
> it there,

How do you do that? What is the format of the data? Where is this IFD.INI when you run Makedisk?

> and it's in the IFD.INI that exists on the bootable media,

How do you know that? When I try to look at the contents of my IFW CD from Windows, I don't see any files?

> though
> I think it wasn't by default (which may be a hint that the answer to my
> question is 'yes'). I've read that you don't have to enter it for a
> restore, at least, but I haven't tested that yet.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

@TeraByte, sorry, I made a blunder by mistaking a 1 for an I. Now it works. That I got through Makedisk with the wrong number fooled me into thinking that I had the right one. It should probably do a check too.

@Bob, the format for IFD.INI is below. It should exist both in the Makedisk directory and in the root of your IFD boot disk. You mention IFW CD, which since it doesn't show any files is apparently something different than what I have, which is just a IFD boot USB key. Someone else will have to answer that, since I don't know.

[Options]
[License]
ProductKey=1111-0000-1111
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 18:25:17 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
rseiler disturbed my reverie and wrote:

> That I got through Makedisk with the wrong number fooled me into thinking that I had the right one.
Yes, it is annoying that there is no error checking. I have found the
same thing when making IfD and IfL ISOs during the IfW install.
--

Cheers

DrT
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

rseiler wrote:

> @Bob, the format for IFD.INI is below. It should exist both in the Makedisk
> directory and in the root of your IFD boot disk. You mention IFW CD, which
> since it doesn't show any files is apparently something different than what
> I have, which is just a IFD boot USB key. Someone else will have to answer
> that, since I don't know.
>
> [Options]
> [License]
> ProductKey=1111-0000-1111

Oops. "IFW CD" is a typo. I meant "IFD CD".

Apparently you're booting IFD from a USB key whereas I'm booting it from a CD. It appears the CD must be written in such a way that files on it are not visible in Windows.

I still don't understand what the "Makedisk directory" is.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Ah, that explains it.

I was just referring to the IFD directory, which is in your IFW installation as one of its subdirs. In there you'll find Makedisk.exe. The IFD.INI there is one that you can preconfigure with your license (or if it doesn't exist yet, just make one). It should then get carried over to your boot media if you check the "IFD.INI from local directory" in the Makedisk wizard. It may be invisible on your boot media, but I think it should still be there.

Bob Coleman wrote:
>
> Oops. "IFW CD" is a typo. I meant "IFD CD".
>
> Apparently you're booting IFD from a USB key whereas I'm booting it from a CD. It
> appears the CD must be written in such a way that files on it are not visible in
> Windows.
>
> I still don't understand what the "Makedisk directory" is.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 17:21:00 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
rseiler disturbed my reverie and wrote:

> The IFD.INI there is one that you can preconfigure with your license (or if it doesn't exist yet, just make one). It should then get carried over to your boot media if you check the "IFD.INI from local directory" in the Makedisk wizard.

Shame this tip does not work with IfL.
--

Cheers

DrT
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

rseiler wrote:
> Ah, that explains it.
>
> I was just referring to the IFD directory, which is in your IFW installation as one
> of its subdirs. In there you'll find Makedisk.exe. The IFD.INI there is one that you
> can preconfigure with your license (or if it doesn't exist yet, just make one). It
> should then get carried over to your boot media if you check the "IFD.INI from
> local directory" in the Makedisk wizard. It may be invisible on your boot media,
> but I think it should still be there.
>
> Bob Coleman wrote:
> >
> > Oops. "IFW CD" is a typo. I meant "IFD CD".
> >
> > Apparently you're booting IFD from a USB key whereas I'm booting it from a CD.
> It
> > appears the CD must be written in such a way that files on it are not visible in
> > Windows.
> >
> > I still don't understand what the "Makedisk directory" is.

OK, I'm still not sure what the deal is with files not being visible on the IFD CD, but now I understand why we're not really understanding each other. I don't even have IFW, just BIBM and IFD that comes with it.