how to install IFL to Ubuntu Live USB?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
HalinQuincy

how to install IFL to Ubuntu Live USB?

Post by HalinQuincy »

The subject pretty much says it. Is there a Linux installer package for IFL. Also wondering; I have 3 W7 machines and 1 XP machine on a home network. each is dedicated to specific use (also belt & braces strategy) and all used only by me. 1) I'm wondering if I'm violating the licence agreement by using my IFL CD on all 4 boxes. 2) I'm in the midst of putting together a Linux file server ( tired of the glacial transfer rates to my Maxtor SSII). Can I or should I install IFL on the server. The end result I want is to have fast file transfer and to do automated b/ups of all the boxes. I don't know if IFL is a good candidate for this, if I need to purchase additional license or if there is a more appropriate backup option (which of course would be free) in the Ubuntu Server world.

Aloha,
HalinQuincy
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: how to install IFL to Ubuntu Live USB?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

I haven't tried it, but I would think the process would be the same (or very similar) to installing IFL normally like you would on a standard install. Basically, you just unzip it and run the setup program. There's a tutorial on the process here: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... _linux.htm

1) If you are going to use one copy of IFL on four systems then you would be in violation of the license agreement. You would need to buy either one more copy (personal non-comercial use) or three more copies (commercial/other use). The license can be found in the LICENSE.TXT file in the downloaded IFL zip file (see sections 1 (a) (i) and 1 (c) (ii)).

2) You could install IFL on the server. Note that the partitions shouldn't be mounted when being backed up so you may still have to boot to the IFL boot media to perform the backup. Otherwise, you should be able to configure automated backups (e.g. http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=305).