Need clarification on IFW and Truecrypt

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Peabody

Re: Need clarification on IFW and Truecrypt

Post by Peabody »

Ok. ISOs are good enough. That's what ImgBurn is for.

It looks like this is going to work for me. Well, as long as Truecrypt doesn't misbehave. I got rid of the 100MB boot partition this morning, which went very well. So next is a test of IFW while everything is still unencrypted, and then however long it takes to encrypt 750GB, and then the final test on that.

How time flies when you're having fun.
TAC109

Post by TAC109 »

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 13:22:39 PDT, Peabody wrote:

>Ok. ISOs are good enough. That's what ImgBurn is for.
>
Make sure you generate your ISO's with the inbuilt MakeDisk as it will
prompt you for your key and incorporate this into the final image or
CD. Otherwise, if you just use the ISO that's there, you will be
prompted for the product key every time you run it.
Peabody

Post by Peabody »

Ok, now I'm confused again. I downloaded the trial version of IFW, and it had IFD, but not IFL. So, can I not use the trial version, or do I need the trial version of IFL too? Well, the trial of IFL won't do any good because I'm not running Linux.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Download the IFL GUI trial. You don't need to be running Linux. You can create the boot media in Windows (unzip the files and run MakeDisk).
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

If you are just using the trial versions, I would not even
be concerned about getting IFL as well.

Sometimes I have found that IFL will access external devices
that IFD cannot find when accessing external hard drives,
CD, DVD or SD cards, though.

When you purchase, you probably want to get all 3 programs.
Mary

On 10/14/2012 8:22 PM, Peabody wrote:
> Ok, now I'm confused again. I downloaded the trial version of IFW, and it had IFD, but not IFL. So, can I not use the trial version, or do I need the trial version of IFL too? Well, the trial of IFL won't do any good because I'm not running Linux.
>
>
Peabody

Post by Peabody »

Paul, two more questions:

1. If I was willing to live without the option of imaging from within Windows, and accept that I would be unable to use the computer for however long the imaging takes, could I do the imaging as well as the restoring from the IFL CD? And I mean normal imaging - used sectors only. It looks like I could boot the CD, then run TrueCrypt, mount the partition I want to image, then do the backup from within IFL. Would that work? There would be no VSS or PHYlock complications doing it that way. So if IFL can see the Truecrypt-mounted drive letter as a valid partition, perhaps it would do a normal image of it. (This is using whole-drive encryption.)

1a. Even if I didn't use whole-drive encryption, might it also be possible to do a normal image of even a non-system partition that had been encrypted separately using the same method? That can't be done from within Windows, but would it work from IFL?

2. I've studied the manual at length, but the options and settings are a bit overwhelming. I would want the imaging and restoring to be done just on the partition involved, without any changes at all to other partitions, or to the first 63 sectors of the drive where the partition table and all the Truecrypt loader stuff is located. Is there anything I need to change from the default options and settings to accomplish that?

Thanks again for your help.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

1. It should work, though I think being able to image in Windows might allow you to make backups more frequently (plus they could be scheduled).

1a. Should work the same as 1.

2. When I ran my tests, I used the default restore options (didn't change anything). In most cases, even with normal restores, the default options are fine.

As before, make sure to test it out on your system.
Peabody

Post by Peabody »

A more important reason in my case for using IFW is that IFL can't find my USB3 ports, so using USB2 will slow things down a lot on a 500GB partition.

Well, I'm going to do Truecrypt whole-drive encryption tonight and do more tests tomorrow.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

IFL has XHCI support, IFD doesn't currently, so IFL should find them okay?

"Peabody" wrote in message news:3472@public.image...

A more important reason in my case for using IFW is that IFL can't find my
USB3 ports, so using USB2 will slow things down a lot on a 500GB partition.

Well, I'm going to do Truecrypt whole-drive encryption tonight and do more
tests tomorrow.

Peabody

Post by Peabody »

Well, it may be a Samsung issue more than an IFL issue, but the drive on USB3 just doesn't appear anywhere in IFL, either as a potential source or potential destination. But if I move it to a USB2 port, it shows up just fine. So for whatever reason, IFL isn't working with the USB3 ports.

I should add that this is a third generation processor - Ivy Bridge - and I believe the USB3 ports are built into the chipset. So perhaps they use newer drivers than the distro has. But I'm just guessing.