restore to usb?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
mjnelson99

Re: restore to usb?

Post by mjnelson99 »

You can still get the Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack
good for 3 computers from Amazon for less than $150.

Unless you have a real dinosaur it might be worth it.
Mary

On 10/4/2012 12:49 PM, molecule wrote:
> hello eric ... thanks ... I haven't dropped the thread
>
> when I went to install my xp pro sp3 version 2002 for the first time, I found out that XP professional version 2002 is really XP Home
>
> the hologram side of the CD says XP Professional ...
> the COA certificate with the Product Key says XP Professional ...
> but the digital side of the CD installs XP Home
> (cannot install domain, cannot logon as administrator,
> default administrator cannot delete the required bubblegum administrator
> the first Welcome screen is so much bubblegum that is an insult to anyone's intelligence
> I was so angry when I learned this ... it just seems like everything MS does is somehow dishonest
>
> winnt is the standard install for 2k
>
> I'm still working on trying to find a cd or iso of XP pro that is XP pro on both sides of the CD ...
>
> I don't want to mount the learning curve for a crippled version of 2K, which is what XP is really (when an administrator can't delete a user account, that's when I quit)
>
>
molecule

Post by molecule »

give me a few days ... I'll run it with my hybrid XP pro-XP Home whatever it is ... it'll be fully patched, and include .net 2.0SP-latest ...

eric ... more I'm learning, don't be surprised if 2K drivers for USB don't work for everyone ... tomasz86, blackwingcat, and others over at MSFN.org are working on 2K kernel and builds, so he knows 2K better than anyone inside and out ... he had some problems with overlaps or something with USB in 2K and XP systems ... the same apis are called from .sys files with diffreent filenames, so maybe that was causing a problem ... this thread might help ... http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129829- ... p4-and-r1/

re the CD

I bought the CD at a national big-box store, microcenter, eyeball-to-eyeball as they say ... $165 about 5 years ago ... It's probably legit, and MS was just putting out a crippled last version of XP on purpose ... I have no doubt that MS would cripple the last version of a OS (for XP, that SP3-v2002) so as to convince people to upgrade to Vista and 7. VERY annoying to install, thinking XP pro is going to come up, and getting served a setup routine from XP Home setup ... (network setup and handling of admin accounts)

The hologram side of the CD says its XP pro Version 2002 includes SP3. The digitial side of the CD seems to run a setup with "Welcome" dongle from XP Home. When installed it handles Administrator accounts like XP Home. But the CD and the COA and the packaging all say XP Professional. I can't find confirmation for the hash values ... so wondering ...
WINDOWS.XP.PROFESSIONAL.SP3.V2002.OEM
Label: GRTMPOEM_EN.ISO
Size: 618,065,920
Dates: 04/14/2008
md5: cf044066e4a9193b388f628fa0c1be7e
sha1: 2bcaaf437bac27ddf6816b0f415fcef9bd85463f

iso's of 7 are probably more available than isos of XP ... they tend to last a only few months on file share sites so XP pro sp3 have been down for a while ...
Eric

Post by Eric »

molecule wrote:
> the same apis are called from .sys files with diffreent filenames, so maybe that was causing a problem ... this thread might help ...
> http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129829- ... p4-and-r1/

Yes, I know that .sys filenames are different between 2k and XP:
- usbohci in XP corresponds to openhci in 2K,
- 2k has usbhub20 and usbhub, XP has only usbhub,
Also, XP has usbport.inf, 2k no, but it has it included into usb.inf...

New version of UsbBoot takes all that into account correctly. Just take care that you don't bring XP drivers to 2k, otherwise the script will use them.

What I understand from the thread (but I read it quickly), is that it exists some new .sys file drivers for 2k (included into a patch...) to take into account some recent USB devices. But one should use them only if one has problems with the .sys in 2k-SP4.

molecule wrote:
> more I'm learning, don't be surprised if 2K drivers for USB don't work for everyone ...

For sure, but we can bring it all the drivers needed (if we have them!).
Eric

Post by Eric »

molecule wrote:
> more I'm learning, don't be surprised if 2K drivers for USB don't work for everyone...

Hello,
Don't know if you already have tried the new version of the script, but I think that, if your Win2k installed in the internal HD of the machine can see the USB stick, then it means that this Win2k contains already the USB drivers needed. That means that you don't need any patch to install new USB .sys files.
However, if, when using the script, Win2k still can't boot on USB in your mobo, that means the script is missing the device for it.
molecule

Post by molecule »

It's taking me longer than I thought it would, so I haven't had the chance to try the new script yet. It'll be a week or so. The spare hdd that I was using for 2K development is now being tortured with XP (which is new to me ...) You've been very helpful and attentive. and skillful and knowledgable.

in an XP environment, tools will build a USB that will will install a 2K system on a hdd, so that confirms that it's not the mobo, bios or stick. 2K sees and formats a USB card or stick ok but it was getting caught on reboots.

to test the motherboard and usb card (I switched from stick to card), I had to built an XP environment. (My first ... more bubblegum and learnnig curve.) In XP, a usb impregnated with a setup ISO will boot and successfully unattend install a system onto a sata hdd ... one uses a hack of grub for dos (GFD) to control the reboot ... on 1st boot the GFD default launches "system 1," which is the dos phase of setup (copy files/format etc.) ... on reboot GFD defaults to the 2nd "system," which is gui phase of the install ... for final reboot, MBR is written, and bios grabs the new hdd.

similar tools in a 2K environment either doesn't see the usb, or if they do, they boot ok and fun copy files and format, but the reboot into the second system fails

It's probably going to be about a week or so before the spare hdd is freed up ... but that's what I thought last week as well ...