accessing IFL backup files

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
userX

accessing IFL backup files

Post by userX »

I have verified that, when I boot into the IFL CD environment, which I tend to think of as being offline (i.e., not in my regular OS environment on the disk), by using TBIView, I am able to access the file system of a backup job that had been made either with IFW while I was in Windows or one made with IFL while I was offline in the IFL CD environment. In other words, IFL lets me see the filesystems from both kinds of backup job. However, I also found that, when I use TBIView while inside Windows for viewing a file system from these backup jobs, I can similarly access the file system from a backup job that I had made with IFW while within Windows, but I am not likewise able to access the file system from a backup job that I had made with IFL while offline. Is this expected behavior? It does not pose any particular problem, but I do want to know if there is a way to view it from within Windows which I may have overlooked? :o

Additionally, while I was exploring TBIView and its Help file looking for an answer about this, I saw in TBIView's menu:

TBIView menu View > Options there is a check box for "Maintain Indexes, and in TBIView's Help file section explaining Image Indexes it states:

"Image indexes can be created in two different ways:
· Automatically, by opening an image (.IMG) file for the first time using the TBIView interface."

However, when I look at the backup files created by IFL, I cannot see any files having suffixes such as "filename.img". So, what exactly are .IMG files and why do I not see any files on my PC with that extension? Thanks.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: accessing IFL backup files

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

If it's an access or permission issue you may just need to take ownership of the file or set the correct permissions.

.IMG are the older (V1) image files. Indexes are not used with the current (V2) images.
userX

Post by userX »

Hi, Paul. Are you saying that I should be able to browse the file system of a backup job while I am within Windows if the backup job was made my IFL while I was not within Windows? I had booted into IFL environment and made a backup of my PC's partitions onto a locally attached USB device; but later, from this same machine, while in Windows, I could not use TBIView to see the file system. Instead, I had to once again boot into IFL on this machine and from there use TBIView to access this backed-up file system. Are you saying that is not as it should be?

I don't know that it is relevant, but I have also noticed that the timestamp on this job's files is incorrect, although the date is correct. I also might add that this USB device uses hardware encryption. The OS on this laptop is 64-bit Win7. When I opened Windows Explorer to view these files on the disk of the USB device, I can see that there was no owner assigned to them during the backup. Are you saying that I should now modify them to take ownership and to see whether that changes my accessibility?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Exactly what happens when you try to open the backup using TBIView in Windows? Is there an error message? Does it open, but display nothing? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem. I assume the "file system" you're trying to view is a standard Windows NTFS partition.

Normally, there isn't a problem viewing any image files, whether created using IFW, IFL, or IFD. The format of the files are the same.

Do you have the same problem if you use a different drive (one other than the hardware encrypted one)?
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

Make sure you have the latest version of TBIView as well.

On 9/27/2012 8:01 PM, PP wrote:
> Exactly what happens when you try to open the backup using TBIView in Windows? Is there an error message? Does it open, but display nothing? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem. I assume the "file system" you're trying to view is a standard Windows NTFS partition.
>
> Normally, there isn't a problem viewing any image files, whether created using IFW, IFL, or IFD. The format of the files are the same.
>
> Do you have the same problem if you use a different drive (one other than the hardware encrypted one)?
>
>