Help needed in restoring from IFL

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
samting

Help needed in restoring from IFL

Post by samting »

Help needed in restoring from IFL where the image is stored on an external, USB disk and where I'm booting from an external CD.

I'm trying to figure out which restore option to use: File (OS) or File (Direct).

In the manual on p 48, the process of using File (OS) restore says:

4. The screen that appears next depends on your choice in Step 3.
If you chose File (OS), a screen appears where you can select the file you
want to restore; see Step 4 for details.

However, that instruction is already in Step 4, so I don't know where to go for the details.

Can anyone help?
Brian K

Re: Help needed in restoring from IFL

Post by Brian K »

samting,

File (Direct) is for you.

File (OS) can be used for a network backup/restore where you have mounted the share as net1.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 01:41:37 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Brian K disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>samting,
>
>File (Direct) is for you.
>
>File (OS) can be used for a network backup/restore where you have mounted the share as net1.

I wish TBU could name those options something else or at least explain
why those Direct and OS labels have been chosen. I always have trouble
figuring out which one I need.
--

Cheers

DrT
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Direct means that IFL will be accessing the partitions directly, bypassing the OS. Supported partitions can be accessed including those in the EMBR and not loaded into the MBR.

OS means that you would be browsing the partitions or network shares using the Linux OS (same as if you were doing it in Linux outside of IFL). You won't be able to browse a partition/share that's not mounted. You also won't be able to access partitions not loaded into the MBR.

In most cases, when using physical drives attached to the system it's easier to use Direct, especially if booting from the IFL media.
samting

Post by samting »

Thanks for your help. All's clear - at least on that subject. I've added a note to the manual page 48 <g>.

When I go to restore on a replacement hard drive, do I first create partitions of the same size as the original and restore the whole disk at once? Or, do I restore partition by partition in separate restore steps?

It's kind of weird these unmarked partitions on new computers that hold restores and other stuff to do with Win7. Will it be a problem if the names of the partitions are different? Some names are blank, for example.

Thanks for your clear explanations. They really belong in the manual!
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

@ samting
>>Thanks for your clear explanations. They really belong in the manual!

There are *many* examples of this. I find the manual to have text which says something like "selecting 'a' enables 'a' and selecting 'b' enables 'b'" without ever explaining why one would use one over the other or explaining any differences. IMHO the style of the manuals is not helpful and poses many more questions than it answers for noobs or those who want to use more than the basic functionality (I'm in the latter group).

To restore a whole disk, I would restore the whole disk if that is how you have backed it up - you do not have to create partitions first - the restore does that. I personally backup my partitions (including the EMBR) rather than the whole disk - no logical reason as I can think of equal 'for' and 'against' points for this approach.

DrT