IFL and openSUSE 12.1

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
pianti

IFL and openSUSE 12.1

Post by pianti »

I have been using IFL2.68 without any problem to make images of openSUSE 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3. I have
recently installed openSUSE 12.1 and IFL 2.68 does not function with it. Is it the fact that the new
OS linux kernel version is 3.1.10-1.16?

Thank you in advance for your answer
TeraByte Support(TP)

Re: IFL and openSUSE 12.1

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

pianti wrote:
> I have been using IFL2.68 without any problem to make images of openSUSE
> 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3. I have
> recently installed openSUSE 12.1 and IFL 2.68 does not function with it. Is
> it the fact that the new
> OS linux kernel version is 3.1.10-1.16?
>
> Thank you in advance for your answer

If the problem you're having is that you can't run IFL (GUI) from 64-bit OpenSUSE 12.1, please refer to this KB article:

How to run IFL (GUI) on 64-bit Linux distributions
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=566

For OpenSUSE 12.1, you will usually need to install 2 extra packages to provide the required 32-bit shared libs. The details for OpenSUSE 12.1 are in the KB article.

If this isn't the problem you're having, please post a few more details such as:
1. Are you running IFL (CUI) or IFL (GUI)?
2. Are you running IFL from the distro, or from the IFL boot disk?
3. Are you running OpenSUSE 12.1 32-bit, or 64-bit?
4. What happens when you try to run IFL?
pianti

Post by pianti »

Tank you for your answer.
I am running IFL from the IFL boot disk.
I am running IFL (GUI).
I am using openSUSE 12.1 64 bits.
After booting from the IFL boot disk, I enter the GUI and can define the type of backup I want, that is to say full backup, single file set, file direct, the source HD and the destination HD. All is running correctly. But when I start the backup, the progress window appears briefly and disappears and I am redirected to the main window.
Do I have to install the two extra packages (32 bits) if I run IFL from the IFL boot disk?
TeraByte Support(TP)

pianti wrote:
> Tank you for your answer.
> I am running IFL from the IFL boot disk.
> I am running IFL (GUI).
> I am using openSUSE 12.1 64 bits.
> After booting from the IFL boot disk, I enter the GUI and can define the
> type of backup I want, that is to say full backup, single file set, file
> direct, the source HD and the destination HD. All is running correctly. But
> when I start the backup, the progress window appears briefly and disappears
> and I am redirected to the main window.
> Do I have to install the two extra packages (32 bits) if I run IFL from the
> IFL boot disk?

If running from the IFL boot disk, installing the 32-bit libs doesn't matter, and neither would the version of OpenSUSE. I am able to image OpenSUSE 12.1, 64-bit with IFL 2.68 (GUI) here without any problems (as well as with IFL 2.74).

Which Linux file system did you use when installing OpenSUSE 12.1? If not sure, you can open a terminal window on the OpenSUSE desktop, and run this command: df -Th > suse.txt. That will save the output of the command to the file suse.txt, which you can include in a post here. It should show the file system in use for each mounted partition.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Also, it wouldn't hurt to try the latest version of IFL (currently 2.74), including the CUI version of it to see if that makes any difference.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

Tom,
Does all the CUI versions include networking?

On 9/25/2012 2:14 PM, TP wrote:
> Also, it wouldn't hurt to try the latest version of IFL (currently 2.74), including the CUI version of it to see if that makes any difference.
>
>
TeraByte Support(TP)

mjnelson99 wrote:
> Tom,
> Does all the CUI versions include networking?
>

There is both a network and non-network version for both the CUI and GUI versions. These are listed on the download page as "With Networking" and "Without Networking". Those are the 4 stand-alone IFL downloads that you download as a zip file.

When you download IFL as part of one of the IFW install packages, there is one package that includes IFL (CUI), and the other includes IFL (GUI). Those are both network versions.
pianti

Post by pianti »

>If running from the IFL boot disk, installing the 32-bit libs doesn't matter, and neither would the version of OpenSUSE. I am able to image >OpenSUSE 12.1, 64-bit with IFL 2.68 (GUI) here without any problems (as well as with IFL 2.74).
>Which Linux file system did you use when installing OpenSUSE 12.1? If not sure, you can open a terminal window on the OpenSUSE desktop, >and run this command: df -Th > suse.txt. That will save the output of the command to the file suse.txt, which you can include in a post here. It >should show the file system in use for each mounted partition.

This is the result of the df -Th command:

Sys. fich. Type Taille Util. Dispo Uti% Monté sur
rootfs rootfs 20G 6,6G 13G 36% /
devtmpfs devtmpfs 1,9G 60K 1,9G 1% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 2,0G 1,6M 1,9G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs tmpfs 2,0G 596K 2,0G 1% /run
/dev/sda2 ext4 20G 6,6G 13G 36% /
tmpfs tmpfs 2,0G 0 2,0G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs tmpfs 2,0G 596K 2,0G 1% /var/lock
tmpfs tmpfs 2,0G 0 2,0G 0% /media
tmpfs tmpfs 2,0G 596K 2,0G 1% /var/run
/dev/sda3 ext4 126G 13G 112G 11% /home
TeraByte Support(TP)

pianti wrote:

> This is the result of the df -Th command:
>
> Sys. fich. Type Taille Util. Dispo Uti% Monté sur
> rootfs rootfs 20G 6,6G 13G 36% /
> devtmpfs devtmpfs 1,9G 60K 1,9G 1% /dev
> tmpfs tmpfs 2,0G 1,6M 1,9G 1% /dev/shm
> tmpfs tmpfs 2,0G 596K 2,0G 1% /run
> /dev/sda2 ext4 20G 6,6G 13G 36% /
> tmpfs tmpfs 2,0G 0 2,0G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
> tmpfs tmpfs 2,0G 596K 2,0G 1% /var/lock
> tmpfs tmpfs 2,0G 0 2,0G 0% /media
> tmpfs tmpfs 2,0G 596K 2,0G 1% /var/run
> /dev/sda3 ext4 126G 13G 112G 11% /home

OK, you are using the ext4 file system for both the root and home partitions, which should not be a problem at all.

To help me in trying to duplicate the problem here:
1. When you attempt to create the backup, are you imaging the entire drive, or just the OpenSuse partitions?

2. When the backup fails, are there any messages on the screen from IFL (error message, etc) , or does it just go back to the main window all by itself, with no message at all?

3. When the backup fails, does a log file get created, and if so, what are its contents? You can display the contents of the log file with the command 'cat /tbu/ifl.log'.

4. To create a list of your partitions, run the following command from a terminal window on the OpenSUSE desktop:
sudo /sbin/fdisk -l > suse2.txt (the -l is a lower case L).
That file suse2.txt will contain a list of your partitions, which you can post here.

At this point, I'd suggest that you try the latest version of IFL, which is 2.74. Your version is 6 versions old, and it would be good to eliminate that as a possibility. As a registered user, you can update to the latest version for free on the Product Download page here:
https://terabyteunlimited.com/product-download.php
pianti

Post by pianti »

Thank your for your answer.
Suddenly IFL 2.68 is working. It seems that there was a problem with the destination hard disk. On it there were two backup files named bk01.tbi and bk02.tbi, each with a size of 0 byte corresponding of the backups that did not succeed. I have erased these two files and, miracle, IFL was running correctly. Strange, is not it?
Thank you again for your help, but I have a last question:
I plan to install openSUSE 12.2 which has a Brtfs file system, is it still possible to use IFL?
Regards