Feature request: omit folders

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
DrTeeth

Re: Feature request: omit folders

Post by DrTeeth »

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 21:14:39 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Brian K disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Did I answer your question about installs? Anything you install or update in C:\Program Files\Games will automatically go to F:\DrT\Games.

Yes you did, many thanks. You have given me the confidence to give it
a go.
--

Cheers

DrT
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

DrT,

I'm pleased I could help.

You know how the kids love that appalling program, iTunes. It puts all its data files in the C: drive. I used junction.exe to clean up my kids' iTunes files. Moved them to a data drive.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:59:14 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Brian K disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>You know how the kids love that appalling program, iTunes. It puts all its data files in the C: drive. I used junction.exe to clean up my kids' iTunes files. Moved them to a data drive.

It is beginning to annoy them as much as it used to annoy me (only had
an Apple product for 5 mins and returned it due to iTunes). There's
only one place I'd like to put the stuff my children listen to...LOL.
--

Cheers

DrT
rustleg

Post by rustleg »

I have to use iTunes to back up my iphone and ipad, so this is one of the folders I need to include in a data backup (and ideally exclude from an image;) although in my case it doesn't have a great deal of data in it.

Another example of an application automatically placing its data on C without giving an option to change the location or even tell you where it is. I wonder where they put the data on the Mac? Probably somewhere in /home/userid if it's layout is like Linux, which would be a folder tree you'd want to exclude from an image.

Incidentally does IFD or IFL run in a Mac (wife's keen on them but I've resisted)?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

rustleg wrote:

> Incidentally does IFD or IFL run in a Mac (wife's keen on them but I've
> resisted)?

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/upgrad ... or-dos.htm

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/upgrad ... -linux.htm
rustleg

Post by rustleg »

Brian

I looked at the links you provided but aside from a mention of "Added support to backup used areas of HFS+ (iMac) partitions" I couldn't find anything which confirmed that it runs on a Mac. I couldn't see anything which confirms or otherwise in the manuals of either (without reading them in their entirety).

I don't know what the architecture of a Mac is - I know a PC uses the ancient IBM design of Master Boot Record and 4 primary partitions - I presumed the Mac disc layout is likely to be quite different since why should they have adopted the IBM model? Does a mac even run the program if an IFD/IFL CD is inserted?
Panagiotis

Post by Panagiotis »

Russell,

about your question of omitting folders it can be done in Vista/7/8; but only with IFW by utilizing VSS instead of PHYlock.
You'll have to use the registry and add the entries of the files/folders you want to exclude under the registry key:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot"

more info here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

About your question for the Macs
IFL should run fine on a Mac, but why do you want to use it there? You can use the OS X recovery environment to create an image of the OS partition with "Disk Utility" by selecting the partition and the "new image" button.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1553
rustleg

Post by rustleg »

Panagiotis wrote:
> Russell,
>
> about your question of omitting folders it can be done in Vista/7/8; but
> only with IFW by utilizing VSS instead of PHYlock.

I don't understand "utilizing VSS instead of PHYlock". Will IFW use these registry entries to omit certain files? I would have thought as IFW/IFD are not file based backups they won't be looking at registry entries to do their work, but I could be wrong as I don't know how IFW works from within Windows. I usually use IFD anyway as I'm always nervous of relying on IFW backing up a running system although I have no rational basis for my caution.

> <snip> ...

>
> About your question for the Macs
> IFL should run fine on a Mac, but why do you want to use it there? You can
> use the OS X recovery environment to create an image of the OS partition
> with "Disk Utility" by selecting the partition and the "new
> image" button.
> ...

I don't have a Mac at this point so I know nothing of its features and utilities. However as I am used to TB's software having used it for a number of years (and being extremely happy with it) if IFL does work with Macs, Apple's own software would have to have significant advantages to prefer it over IFL. If it's anything like Windows' own image backup facilities then it's likely that TB's products would be much superior.
Panagiotis

Post by Panagiotis »

rustleg wrote:
> I don't understand "utilizing VSS instead of PHYlock". Will IFW use these
> registry entries to omit certain files? I would have thought as IFW/IFD are not file
> based backups they won't be looking at registry entries to do their work, but I could
> be wrong as I don't know how IFW works from within Windows. I usually use IFD anyway
> as I'm always nervous of relying on IFW backing up a running system although I have
> no rational basis for my caution.

Phylock is the driver of IFW used for hot images. VSS is Microsoft's service and does the same thing; both create a frozen state of the partition to allow the imaging without the need to unmount it first.
It is not IFW that omits the files, VSS does. VSS creates a temporary shadow copy (imagine it as an instant frozen image or virtual partition) and then according to the entries in that key, deletes the files from the shadow copy. Then IFW creates the image according to the file table the VSS's shadow copy presents to it, so the image that creates skips the clusters occupied from those files.

> I don't have a Mac at this point so I know nothing of its features and utilities.
> However as I am used to TB's software having used it for a number of years (and being
> extremely happy with it) if IFL does work with Macs, Apple's own software would have
> to have significant advantages to prefer it over IFL. If it's anything like Windows'
> own image backup facilities then it's likely that TB's products would be much
> superior.
For the moment the only advantages of Disk Utility over IFL are
1. the ability to write in HFS+ partition
2. the recovery partition that you can access during boot time (no need for external media start the image)
3. IFL does not support yet Apple's hybrid mbr.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

For the moment the only advantages of Disk Utility over IFL are
1. the ability to write in HFS+ partition

> You can write to HFS+ partition, just mount it from the boot disk. and use
> File (OS).

2. the recovery partition that you can access during boot time (no need for
external media start the image)

> You can setup a partition to boot Linux and run IFL. Of course it doesn't
> do much good if your HD dies.

3. IFL does not support yet Apple's hybrid mbr.

> It would backup fine since it would access the GPT (they should be
> entering the partition in the GPT as well as MBR), it also puts back the
> MBR entries I believe.