IFD seems to be processing more files than it should

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
shahrukh

IFD seems to be processing more files than it should

Post by shahrukh »

I'm doing a copy of 3 of 4 NTFS partitions from my installed system drive to an external USB drive (I finally figured out the options to make the target drive bootable, but that's not the purpose of this message ...).

It all seems to work just fine, except that ALL of the three source partitions seem to be copied (i.e., including unused space), not just the part that is used (about 50% of the total).

Here is why I say this: The three partitions together are in total just about 50% of the capacity of the three partitions' maximum combined size, that is to say 111 of 210 GB are actually used (per drive properties in Windows Explorer). However, when IFD is copying, the running total of Data Copied/Data Remaining sums up to 207,323 MiB (and when it finishes this is still the number of total MiB it says was copied), even though I left the "Copy unused sectors" option unchecked. I'd love to have it take half the time that it actually did, so anyone know why this might be happening?
Brian K

Re: IFD seems to be processing more files than it should

Post by Brian K »

shahrukh,

Did you select Validate?
shahrukh

Post by shahrukh »

No, no validate selected either, nor the option to write zeros to unused sectors. In fact, the only non-default option I selected was "Write Standard MBR Code" (which was necessary to make the target drive bootable), but this has nothing to do with the phenomenon (I did a run before that without this option, but observed the same behaviour on apparent writing of unused sectors as well).
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

shahrukh,

I just checked my IFD Copy and it is the same as yours. It's just the way the Statistics are presented. The time taken to Copy (with double Statistics) is about the same as an image restore. When I select "Copy Unused Sectors" the copy time was tripled which was appropriate.
shahrukh

Post by shahrukh »

Thanks Brian, that was helpful! (In addition to the extra time, I was also concerned that if unused sectors are always written, then the option to shrink partitions in the destination wouldn't work either--it wasn't something I needed to do this time!)