IFL and networking

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
userX

IFL and networking

Post by userX »

Using Win7 on laptop in home network. When I boot into the CD IFL recovery environment, should I expect the program to be able to use the laptop's wireless connection to the router so that I can mount a NAS device as a Samba server, or would it have to be connected to the network with ethernet cable? If cable only, should it be able to work with the cable connected to a switch, which is then connected to the router, or does it have to be a direct cable connection to the router?

I'm asking because I did not succeed in getting it to work with the laptop's built in wireless adapter when I tried earlier. If only the cable connection would work, should I then I then use the OS or file direct method for mounting the share? Thanks.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Re: IFL and networking

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

userX wrote:
> Using Win7 on laptop in home network. When I boot into the CD IFL recovery
> environment, should I expect the program to be able to use the laptop's
> wireless connection to the router so that I can mount a NAS device as a
> Samba server, or would it have to be connected to the network with ethernet
> cable?

It will if your wireless network adapter is supported on the IFL disk. To determine that, choose the Auxiliary menu, and then Network Configuration. (For IFL GUI, right click desktop, choose Configure Network). That screen will list the network interfaces detected on the system. If the wireless interface is listed, you should then be able to manually configure it using the menus (see the help item).

Not all wireless adapters are supported on the IFL disk, usually because the firmware required by the specific wireless driver is not on the disk. That's due to space restraints, as well as license restrictions in some cases. Also, note that wireless imaging can be significantly slower than on a wired connection, by a factor of 5 or more in some cases, depending on the specific hardware.

In most cases, wireless adapters can be gotten to work, but will require a custom IFL boot disk that contains the firmware file needed for the specific wireless adapter on your system.

> If cable only, should it be able to work with the cable connected to
> a switch, which is then connected to the router, or does it have to be a
> direct cable connection to the router?

Either way should work fine.

>
> I'm asking because I did not succeed in getting it to work with the
> laptop's built in wireless adapter when I tried earlier. If only the cable
> connection would work, should I then I then use the OS or file direct
> method for mounting the share? Thanks.

You would use the File (OS) access method. Before doing that, you need to first mount the network share by using the "Mount Network Shares" menu item. On the GUI version, you will get the same thing by selecting the "net1" icon at the top of the screen. Once the share is mounted, you will be able to access the contents of the network share as if it was part of the Linux file system - which is why you would use File (OS).
userX

Re: IFL and networking

Post by userX »

Thanks, Tom. As usual your excellent explanation is thorough and clear.