how to mount a mac partition

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
gwald

how to mount a mac partition

Post by gwald »

I've successfully backed up a mac drive with IFL to an external drive and a network drive. I would like to back up to another partition on the same drive too. Is this possible? I can't figure out how to mount it. I know that the partition is active because I copied files to it.

When I try to use the partition as the destination drive in IFL, the error is that it's unmounted! Any help appreciated.

thx
TeraByte Support(TP)

Re: how to mount a mac partition

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

What is the file system on the destination partition?

For IFL to be able to save an image to a partition using the File (Direct) access method, the destination partition must be one of the supported file systems, which are FAT, FAT32, NTFS, Ext2/3/4.

Some additional file systems (such as XFS, ReiserFS) that IFL doesn't support for File (Direct) access can be mounted manually, and then you can use the File (OS) access method to save an image to the partition. Support for using the File (OS) access method with hfs+ partitions is planned to be added for the next release.
gwald

Post by gwald »

hi Tom - Thanks for your help!

I don't have the MAC in front of me, but the file system is default (but I don't know what that is for a mac). It was a clean install. I'll try to find out, but in case you know, I wanted to mention that. And, the partion that I wanted to save to is the same as the one that I'm copying from, which IFL sees ok.

The instructions say, "File (Direct) – This option allows you to save the image file(s) to a folder on a hard drive and an unmounted partition." Do you think that making a folder on that partition might help the situation, since it doesn't have to be mounted?

I'll try it out when the mac is in front of me, but I'm just trying to get as much info as I can for now.

I think the mac had an option to format the partition with different file systems, so I guess that will be the other thing to try, i.e. format it to a FAT32.

thx again,
rob
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

Rob,
Usually it is not good to save to the same partition that is
being imaged. It can create problems.

You can easily save to a different partition on the same
hard drive.
Mary

On 8/11/2012 12:37 PM, gwald wrote:
> hi Tom - Thanks for your help!
>
> I don't have the MAC in front of me, but the file system is default (but I don't know what that is for a mac). It was a clean install. I'll try to find out, but in case you know, I wanted to mention that. And, the partion that I wanted to save to is the same as the one that I'm copying from, which IFL sees ok.
>
> The instructions say, "File (Direct) - This option allows you to save the image file(s) to a folder on a hard drive and an unmounted partition." Do you think that making a folder on that partition might help the situation, since it doesn't have to be mounted?
>
> I'll try it out when the mac is in front of me, but I'm just trying to get as much info as I can for now.
>
> I think the mac had an option to format the partition with different file systems, so I guess that will be the other thing to try, i.e. format it to a FAT32.
>
> thx again,
> rob
>
>
gwald

Post by gwald »

thx Mary - Actually it is another partition on the same drive. I'm able to see it but it gets the "unmounted" error. So far my options are (at least what I can see):
1. make a folder in the partition and maybe it will become usable without mounting
2. reformat the partition to a different fs that IFL likes
3. ??
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

gwald wrote:
> I've successfully backed up a mac drive with IFL to an external drive and a
> network drive.

gwald,

My daughter uses a Mac. Have you successfully restored an image to a Mac?
gwald

Post by gwald »

Brian - yes, no problem.
gwald

Post by gwald »

fyi - My problem was resolved by reformatting the partition that will be used for back-up to FAT (same drive). no mounting necessary - just normal IFL.
Good deal! really love these tools!