IFL GUI won't reboot but will powerdown

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
caleula

Re: IFL GUI won't reboot but will powerdown

Post by caleula »

Okay. Did a 12.5GB backup image and all seems okay. Rebooted fine.

Did a few reboots at the initial IFL screen and reboot takes about 3 seconds versus a split second on the other computer.
Guess maybe I should put this down to waiting for the PCI-e SATA controller to initalize, but the e-SATA controller on the other computer takes about the same time for this so maybe there is something I'm missing.

I can live with that thanks Tom.

Remaining question is can I lock in "File (Direct)" as a parameter somehow I always use this option and get sick of having to select it everytime.

BTW, looks like I have been using the software since 2008.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

OK, I don't see anything in the report indicating a problem now. The reboot time could potentially be affected by what drivers are loaded, which will vary from one system to another. FWIW, if the delay occurs while the "Restarting system" message is on the screen, that means that the reboot has been turned over to the kernel (that message comes from the kernel code). To answer your other question, the File (Direct) selection cannot be set as the default choice.
caleula

Post by caleula »

Well, problem not solved yet it would appear.

I rebooted from the initial IFL screen and it's been sitting at the "Restarting system" message on the screen for at least 30 minutes while I have been outside raking up the fallen leaves.

So, it's been turned over to the kernel and stuck there it appears.

Interesting that the File (Direct) selection cannot be set as the default as it's the only choice I ever make.
caleula

Post by caleula »

Tom, seems that a reboot from the first GUI screen before any backup/restore of images may be its undoing. It hangs at "Restarting system."

After doing an actual backup/restore, it appears to reboot okay. Well, at least sometimes. Not sure whether it is fluking it.

How about you try a reboot from the first GUI screen and see what happens?
caleula

Post by caleula »

Tom, now using IFL GUI Non-Networked 2.71 and won't reboot at the end of a backup.

Back to square one. :(

New "Report.txt" at http://members.iinet.net.au/~caleula/Terabyte%20IFL/
caleula

Post by caleula »

Tried "Exit Gui to Console" and "reboot" from there. Still hangs.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Here's 2 things that may help narrow things down:

1. Do you also have this problem with the CUI version of IFL (please try the latest version 2.71)?

2. When it hangs when rebooting, please post the messages that you see on the screen, starting with "The system is going down NOW!"
caleula

Post by caleula »

TeraByte Support(TP) wrote:

> 1. Do you also have this problem with the CUI version of IFL (please try the latest version 2.71)?

IFL CUI 2.71 has the same rebooting problem, plus, it can't see the USB backup drive!
It also doesn't seem to like the USB KVM switch. Had to switch manually, rather than by Scroll Lock:Scroll Lock.

Tried an older IFL CUI 2.57 and reboots and KVM switches by hotkey fine. There is a much longer set of reboot commands though.

> 2. When it hangs when rebooting, please post the messages that you see on the screen,
> starting with "The system is going down NOW!"

The system is going down NOW!
Sent SIGTERM to all processes
acpid: exiting

Sent SIGKILL to all processes
Requesting system reboot
Restarting system.

[IPv6 address 2001:4479:7cab:e69:38ed:23e9:2a52:c87b]
TeraByte Support(TP)

OK, thanks for that information. It helps to know that the issue is across the board, both CUI and GUI versions, and has been there since at least version 2.69, with the last known version not to show this problem being 2.57. The reboot messages look normal.

In case you're not aware, version 2.72 was just released overnight. It's possible that the issue got fixed in that version, although nothing intentional was done to fix it. But it does include an update (bug fix release) of the kernel on the boot disk.

If not, please send me an email to tomp@terabyteunlimited.com. We don't see the problem here at all, so I'll need to provide you with some previous versions (3) to test, to see if we can figure out what exact version this problem started with, and then look at what changed in that version.
caleula

Post by caleula »

Just tried IFL CUI and IFL GUI 2.72. Both won't reboot. Same message. Both recognised the USB backup drive though.

The system is going down NOW!
Sent SIGTERM to all processes
acpid: exiting

Sent SIGKILL to all processes
Requesting system reboot
Restarting system.

[Email sent]