Trouble restoring Windows 7

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
selwynpolit

Trouble restoring Windows 7

Post by selwynpolit »

Hi folks,
I wonder if anyone could advise me on this problem. My current 1TB Seagate C drive has been running windows 7 which was copied from it's predecessor using IFW . I backed it up on 3-9-12 to an external HD just fine. It crashed 2 days ago with a BSOD Page Fault in Nonpaged area so I went back to the backup from 3-9-12. When I restored that I got the same problem. Suspecting the hard drive, I tried restoring it to a different hard drive. Same problem. Over the years, I've used IFW without any surprises.

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 and it creates a different layout when I backup so I wonder if that is relevant. Incidentally, I am able to successfully restore the fresh install of Win7.

Backup that I originally restored from 3-9-12
[] Drive 953,870MiB Entire Drive
[] MBR0 Partition (01) 953,867MiB HPFS/NTFS

When I restore this one to 2 different drives, windows crashes on boot with a BSOD Page Fault in nonpaged area

New Backup of fresh install of Win 7 on 4-24-12
[] Drive 953.870 MiB Entire Drive
[] System Reserved Partition (01) 100 MiB HPFS/NTFS
[] MBR 1 Partition (02) 953,767 MiB HPFS/NTFS

I use Image for Linux 2.65 to do the restores and I am now trying ver. 2.70. Is it significant that there is no 100MB system reserved partition? Should I try a blend by restoring the System reserverd from 4-24-12 with the MBR0 from the 3-9-12?

Any suggestions?
Brian K

Re: Trouble restoring Windows 7

Post by Brian K »

The 100 MB SRP is not an issue.

I suggest checking your RAM with an overnight run of MemTest.
selwynpolit

Post by selwynpolit »

hmm. The RAM is pretty old. I'm surprised that it would go but that makes sense.
thanks.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

You may be able to use TBI View on the problem image and at
least get your data.

You may not have a Win 7 DVD. If you do, can you do a repair
after the restore?

I know I was able to get a bootable version of the repair
for Vista. There may be one avail for Win 7 as well.

I also found a slip-streamed Win 7 SP 1, ISO file online
that can be used to boot up to do a repair. I don't have the
link anymore though. It might be worth locating it for those
with factory installed Win 7 anyway.
Mary

On 4/25/2012 9:13 AM, selwynpolit wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I wonder if anyone could advise me on this problem. My current 1TB Seagate C drive has been running windows 7 which was copied from it's predecessor using IFW . I backed it up on 3-9-12 to an external HD just fine. It crashed 2 days ago with a BSOD Page Fault in Nonpaged area so I went back to the backup from 3-9-12. When I restored that I got the same problem. Suspecting the hard drive, I tried restoring it to a different hard drive. Same problem. Over the years, I've used IFW without any surprises.
>
> I did a fresh install of Windows 7 and it creates a different layout when I backup so I wonder if that is relevant. Incidentally, I am able to successfully restore the fresh install of Win7.
>
> Backup that I originally restored from 3-9-12
> [] Drive 953,870MiB Entire Drive
> [] MBR0 Partition (01) 953,867MiB HPFS/NTFS
>
> When I restore this one to 2 different drives, windows crashes on boot with a BSOD Page Fault in nonpaged area
>
> New Backup of fresh install of Win 7 on 4-24-12
> [] Drive 953.870 MiB Entire Drive
> [] System Reserved Partition (01) 100 MiB HPFS/NTFS
> [] MBR 1 Partition (02) 953,767 MiB HPFS/NTFS
>
> I use Image for Linux 2.65 to do the restores and I am now trying ver. 2.70. Is it significant that there is no 100MB system reserved partition? Should I try a blend by restoring the System reserverd from 4-24-12 with the MBR0 from the 3-9-12?
>
>
> Any suggestions?
>
>
selwynpolit

Post by selwynpolit »

Well it turns out that my motherboard warranty expired today and it looks like the motherboard just got really flakey. I tried a different hard drive, power supply and even a fresh install of windows and that acts weird so I guess it's time for a new one. Thanks for folks comments. I'll post back here when I get a new motherboard.
selwynpolit

Post by selwynpolit »

Once again Image for Windows has proven to be a shining star. Nicely done folks. When I put a new motherboard/ram/cpu in my machine, the restore worked perfectly and I am back in business.

Thanks for an amazing stable product!
Selwyn
peleus

Post by peleus »

Nice to hear that. New motherboard fixed the issue. Great!.