Extended Character Support?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
ferdoirich

Extended Character Support?

Post by ferdoirich »

Has anyone encountered this? I tried to do a restore of an ntfs partition that I have been backing up with ifl for ages. The restore aborts with no error message even with v2.70. So I tried using tbi view to restore specific files out of the backup and I hit an error saying something about an incomplete wide character. It looks like might be correct because the file name it fails on has the word Montréal in the name with the é garbled. I'll try to capture the exact error message as soon as I can. Thanks for any thoughts or help on the matter.
TeraByte Support

Re: Extended Character Support?

Post by TeraByte Support »

what does the ifw.log have in the program folder? If it aborts there should be a reason. Also, TBIView will translate to multi-byte, however, you can use TBIMount which essentially uses Windows to access the files and data.
ferdoirich

Re: Extended Character Support?

Post by ferdoirich »

Oops! it sounds like I'm misusing the product. I'm using ifl run off a cd to back up both my windows and linux partitions on a dual boot pc. A little more testing and I think the error is at the linux level rather than in ifl. I'm backing up to an ntfs drive and when I look at the backup in TbiView, I can see the file name with the mangled extended character. I can restore the file in question to an ext2 partition and the file restores with the mangled é still showing in the restored filename, but when I open a terminal on tbi and cp ./mnt1/Montréal.xls ./mnt2/ (where mnt1 is the ext2 partition that I restored the file to and mnt2 is another ntfs partition), i get the following error: cp can't stat 'Montréal.xls' : invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character.

I've now restored all the files I need by renaming the files on the ext2 partition, so I don't need a solution. I'm very interested in you thoughts on how I should be backing up my system.

Thanks!