Error trying to use TBIView on Truecrypt drive.

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
mjv

Error trying to use TBIView on Truecrypt drive.

Post by mjv »

I'm using Windows XP, IFW version 2.70. I've just updated to version 2.70 of IFW to see if I still have the same error and I do. I can do a backup of both my C & D drives, or just the D drive and have the same problem. No errors given when doing the backup (full), but if I try to use TBIView to view/extract files from my D drive, it will give me the following error message:

Unable to mount the image. Common Reasons: dirty file system, incorrect partition file system identifier, unsupported file system, or an error occurred.

I store the backup on my F drive, or on an external hard drive, but get the error either way. The C drive image has no problem. I have the entire drive encrypted with Truecrypt. Drive C is done separate since I'm running Windows XP, then I have a Truecrypt batch file to mount the D,E & F drives. I only do the backup once everything is mounted.

I've tried doing a chkdsk /f on all the drives. I do this on many other machines without any issues, but want to be able to reliably backup and restore my D drive using the IFW program. The log indicates that everything is fine and ended with error code 0. I'm not changing any of the default settings, except validating and validating byte-for-byte. I can have IFW validate the backup and there are no errors. IFW is version 4.27.0, which I think is the latest one.

Any ideas?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Error trying to use TBIView on Truecrypt drive.

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It sounds like you're backing up the partition(s) in the encrypted state.

Have you read this KB article? It contains a lot of information regarding TrueCrypt and imaging.
mjv

Re: Error trying to use TBIView on Truecrypt drive.

Post by mjv »

Thanks for the information! I looked it through and tried a couple of things, such as using the backup unused sectors option. Still have the same issue. I usually back up C, D & E drives to the F drive, or to an external USB drive, depending on what we are doing. I have this similar Windows XP setup on 2-3 other machines, no issues. I had to release the laptop back out into the wild, so I just did a manual copy of all the data for now so I would have it and he will have to do the same. I think I might have to decrypt the D & E drives and then format, re-encrypt them. However, he will be getting a new laptop this fall and we will have Windows 7, which has a little better Truecrypt - entire system drive approach, unless you have multiple hard drives like on mine. I'll experiment with it the next time I have it back in my hands.