How to request: new computer Win7 installed

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
carls2

How to request: new computer Win7 installed

Post by carls2 »

Greetings, all.

Just got a new Win7 computer and immediately partitioned the HD to create a data drive called D: - and only afterwards noticed the 200MB "active" partition.

It looks as if iFD could be ideal for routine system backups, since the docs, videos, and how-to's all show full drive backups and restores. But since D: contains just data, it's backed up separately on tape. Since there's a lot of data, I don't want to include it all in routine backups.

Is there a how-to or video showing my situation where the objective is a simple routine system backup and restore when the system crashes but where it's not a full drive backup / restore? I need to understand how much more complex it is to restore partition by partition, especially with the unnamed 200MG thingie and what appears to be a non-standard MBR.

But this scenario doesn't seem to be the subject of a video or how-to. Anybody know of one?

System: Lenovo portable G770 Win7
Brian K

Re: How to request: new computer Win7 installed

Post by Brian K »

carls2,

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management on Photobucket or somewhere? That will help us. A 200 MB SRP? I thought you only saw those with early beta versions of Win7. The partitions now are 100 MB.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

The active partition may be some Lenovo stuff as opposed to
MS. Check it out.
Mary

On 2/9/2012 2:31 PM, carls2 wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> Just got a new Win7 computer and immediately partitioned the HD to create a data drive called D: - and only afterwards noticed the 200MB "active" partition.
>
> It looks as if iFD could be ideal for routine system backups, since the docs, videos, and how-to's all show full drive backups and restores. But since D: contains just data, it's backed up separately on tape. Since there's a lot of data, I don't want to include it all in routine backups.
>
> Is there a how-to or video showing my situation where the objective is a simple routine system backup and restore when the system crashes but where it's not a full drive backup / restore? I need to understand how much more complex it is to restore partition by partition, especially with the unnamed 200MG thingie and what appears to be a non-standard MBR.
>
> But this scenario doesn't seem to be the subject of a video or how-to. Anybody know of one?
>
> System: Lenovo portable G770 Win7
>
>
aln77

Post by aln77 »

I have an Asus Vista OS system and did the same - made drive D for data.

I use IFW to Backup the C; drive where windows is.
During the backup it shows a hidden section with the C drive - i backup both in the backup.

I think the hidden part is something to do with the way the computer uses drive C;
I restored just the C: part once and it did have a few problems but believe I should have restored both the C: and 'hidden' section.

Computer still works fine.