'unable to mount file system'; Compact failing

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
tom

'unable to mount file system'; Compact failing

Post by tom »

After searching thru several topics, I'm one of those who has relied on IFW, IFD, IFL for many years. et I never paid much attention nor required the Compact feature.
With a new Win 10 (pro) Laptop, I'm exploring changing the partitioning scheme by resizing the C: system, then adding a logical partition with the remaining space.
So I hoped to start this task by that running Compact and take an image, then restore it to the new smaller partition.
There is both ample unused space in the current 500 G SSD and the total user-installed programs & data is very limited. Hence, I bet this strategy should be easily do-able.

I just can't get past 'unable to mount file system' dialog. Using my latest IFW Suite v3.
I'm using (all USB bootable - configured from my TBI most-recent-suite) an UEFI IFW, a DOS version, a IFL version.
All of them return the same error.
And I've toyed with BIOS settings even though I'm really only up to speed with the UEFI configurations.
And tried running "mountver" from the cmd prompt within the bootable USBs.

Any hints or known Win 10-specific knowledge that probably missing, Please?

P.S. Compact does not exhibit the problem on my old Win 8.1 laptop, using USB-boot IFW (suite v3)
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: 'unable to mount file system'; Compact failing

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Is it encrypted? Many new Windows 10 systems come with BitLocker already enabled, but unlocked (the data is still encrypted on the drive). If that's the case then it won't be mountable until you disabled it.
tom

Re: 'unable to mount file system'; Compact failing

Post by tom »

Thanks and much obliged. I truly thought I explored enough primers on Win 10 for the medium knowledgeable user before the Cyber Monday purchase arrived.
Compact problem resolved. BitLocker disabled and system partition unencrypted.

Reading your KB "Restoring to a Smaller Drive or Partition" to prep for resizing a 500 G partition.
IFW reports 59 GiB used / ~ 416 GiB free / ~ 81 GiB to Restore.