Windows slowness during first post-restore boot

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Scott

Windows slowness during first post-restore boot

Post by Scott »

I restored my Windows volume twice last night. Each time, the first loading of the restored Windows environment was really slow--the shell was incredibly slow to load and respond, which of course caused issues and made Windows unusable until it was rebooted.

Both times, it was fine after a reboot, and thereafter.

Why would the first (and only the first) boot after a restore have this slowness?
Last edited by Scott on Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Coleman

Re: Windows slowness during first post-restore boot

Post by Bob Coleman »

This has been discussed before and, as far as I know, never been answered but I agree that the first boot after restoring is always slower that other boots. I've never found it necessary to reboot because of this though.
Scott

Post by Scott »

I shouldn't have referred to "boot". The booting to Windows was as fast as usual, but the loading of Explorer (and possibly other things in the background--I'm not sure) is what the problem was. I probably could have simply logged off and back on rather than rebooting, but it irritates me when I have missing tray icons because the shitty shell doesn't do its job.

Glad to know I'm not the only one, at least. Thanks.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Regardless of what the terminology is, I've never found it necessary to reboot or log off and on for things to become normal. It just takes them longer than usual to become normal.

Since typically the page file and maybe hibernation file are not backed up, I've often wondered if there is some overhead in reformatting these files or something, but I don't really know.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Could be a lack of Superfetch prefetch data.
Cheers
DrT