Email send failure 75 - Socket Error 0x0

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
rseiler

Email send failure 75 - Socket Error 0x0

Post by rseiler »

What does that specific error message mean?

Something very strange is going on with Gmail (TLS) when a command-line backup *actually completes*: The email doesn't send, with the above error.

However...and this part is key, I think:

When the backup itself fails in testing (e.g. specifying something bogus like /d:zzz so that it must immediately quit), the email WORKS, proving that the SMTP configuration is correct. Further, the test from the GUI also works. T (587) is most definitely correct and functioning.

So, it seems to be something related to sending in a real-world scenario. Meaning, after a backup actually happens. Perhaps a timing issue.

Command line in the batch (I changed the addresses):

start /WAIT imagew64.exe /b /uy /um /evlogl:1 /d:w0 /email:"smtp.gmail.com*from@mydomain.com*to@mydomain.com*IFW Backup Completed][IFW Backup Failed (Error ~ec~)*T*login@gmail.com*{#loginname#}" /f:"F:\IFW_Backups\Images" /v /hash

Note: Not a problem with my old port 25 SMTP config. It works.

IFW 3.42 and 3.40 tested
TeraByte Support

Re: Email send failure 75 - Socket Error 0x0

Post by TeraByte Support »

That is a generic access denied error. If you have two step verification set, use an app password: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Also, you can run it with /logl:10 then use the UI to do the operation, then look in the log to see if your /email parameter matches. Also check that your {#loginname#} password variable exists in passwords tab (and using same account in batch file as interactive).
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

No two-factor on that account, which is the same one as on the tab. That test passes.

I appreciate what you're saying about {#loginname#}, but note that email *is* sent successfully when the backup never takes place (when the backup is prevented with a nonsensical switch: /d:zzz). That definitely tells us that it's not SMTP surely. Right? If it was an SMTP problem, no emails would ever send....

When the backup does take place and completes successfully, the email attempt produces the socket error.

I can try the /logl:10 thing next, but right now it's hard to see past the email working only when a backup fails.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

The manual method with a successful backup also sends the email successfully. I think this closes the door on SMTP. Here's the command line the log gave:

imagew64.exe /b /d:w0 /f:"F:\Backup-w0-$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$"
/logl:10 /email:"smtp.gmail.com*from@mydomain.com*to@mydomain.com**T587*login@gmail.com*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" /plur /usevss

Interestingly, there's an extra * before the T, but I think that's just because there isn't a Subject in that command line somehow (there is one in the email).
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

I need to correct something about my original assumption surrounding it sometimes working. The only reason secure Gmail worked at all from the command-line is that the emails sent *were not because of the command-line in the first place*.

They were because of the Email tab, which was filled out. I should have noticed this before.

So, I've now blanked out the email tab and am testing only with the one thing saved in the Password tab. Socket Error 0x0 at the end of a successful command-like backup.

The only way I know to get it to work is either to use non-secure mail with /email OR don't use /email at all and instead rely upon the Email tab.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

so use that form of the mail that it gives you but you can replace the password with the {#variablename#} from password tab. If it works via settings the command line would work as well (it may be a password issue), if it has foreign characters and you don't use English code page, see the upgrade history.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

It's the same form though. I'm just including a subject.

/email:"smtp.gmail.com*from@mydomain.com*to@mydomain.com*IFW Backup Completed][IFW Backup Failed (Error ~ec~)*T*login@gmail.com*{#loginname#}"

/email:"smtp.gmail.com*from@mydomain.com*to@mydomain.com**T587*login@gmail.com*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

No foreign characters.

Still wondering if anyone actually has this working currently.

About the possibility of it being a PW issue: I just tested using the actual PW in the command line, and it works. So, something strange is going on here with the variable, which I've already deleted and recreated....

I checked the Help on it: same user account that created it as is running the backup. It's also x64 in both cases. Anything else?

After staring at the screen further, something occurred to me: it says "Enclose the name between {# and #} when using them." Of course, I had been doing that, but the "when using them" part hadn't fully sunk in, since I was also doing it in the NAME field on the Password tab. What the form is looking for is a simple name not enclosed in anything.

Thanks for your patience