Creating a combined bootable media for IFL and BIBM?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
timg11

Creating a combined bootable media for IFL and BIBM?

Post by timg11 »

When I use Makedisk to create an IFL bootable media, I select the option to include BIBM.

I find the "Partition Work" is available from the Linux environment along with IFL and other tools,

However, I'm trying to determine how to install "BootIt BM" from that media? Is that possible? Do I need to create a dedicated bootable media with BIBM only in order to install BootIt BM?
timg11

Re: Creating a combined bootable media for IFL and BIBM?

Post by timg11 »

I'm guessing it requires dedicated media. I extracted the BootItCollection archive to a directory, which contains makedisk, and subdirectories common, biu, and bibm.

I create a CD (BIOS, BIBM, Mouse enabled, standard VGA, Normal boot)
When I boot in the target system, I get an orange bar at the top of the screen, and a white box. It appears the screen has gone into some strange video mode. Where is the video override option that I get when booting into IFL? There is no interactive video setting for BIBM?
timg11

Post by timg11 »

It appears I will have to iterate through the process of "Makedisk -> create media -> try to boot BIBM" for all combinations of video settings until I can find a video mode that works? Very strange since IFL works perfectly on this system.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

The option in IFL is to enable partwork. For BootIt and your CD see https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=644
timg11

Post by timg11 »

Thanks for the pointer to the KB - that explains it. To summarize, the answer to my first question is "No, it is not possible to install Bootit BM from the IFL environment. You can choose to include Partition Work only."
For the second issue, I conclude that installing Bootit BM requires some type of legacy boot environment that is somehow linked to a floppy disk size. That leads to the second issue of boot failure. The target system is problematic booting from USB, so CDs are preferred.
Yes, removing IFD and scripting fixes the problem. Maybe Makedisk could display a warning "Image Exceeds Floppy Size and may not boot on all systems - see https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=644."

PS - I know optical discs are not widely used anymore, but if you're working on Makedisk, it has an annoying behavior. It _always_ ejects a disc and prompts for a blank disc, even if the disc in the drive is already blank. Maybe Makedisk could try to write, and if not blank, _then_ request a blank disc?
SATA Bias

Post by SATA Bias »

Regarding "removing IFD and scripting fixes the problem", I've found that if you uninstall BootIT BM previously, you can boot from the BootIT BM setup CD (including IFD and scripting) without any problems.
See viewtopic.php?t=3281