New UEFI Computer

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
IHipschman

New UEFI Computer

Post by IHipschman »

I am setting up an new, Windows 10 computer which boots with UEFI. I am trying to restore backups from my older (non-UEFI) computer which were made with Image for Windows, but the new computer will not boot from my Image for Dos CD. Is this because the new computer is UEFI and if so what can I do?

Thanks
Brian K

Re: New UEFI Computer

Post by Brian K »

IHipschman wrote:

> but the new computer will not boot from my Image
> for Dos CD.

IHipschman,

See this page re Boot media in UEFI systems,

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=572
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

Thanks for the quick reply. Does my Image for Windows license include Image for Linux or UEFI? Which do you recommend using (I don't see Image for UEFI on your product listing)?

Again,
Thanks
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

Never mind. I found Image for UEFI when I reran the install program. I'm giving it a try now. Hopefully this will work

Thanks again
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Does the new UEFI computer already have an OS?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

IHipschman wrote:
> Never mind. I found Image for UEFI when I reran the install program. I'm
> giving it a try now. Hopefully this will work
>
> Thanks again

I assume this means when reinstalling the Backup and Restore Suite. If so, you should have also found Image for Linux (IFL). That's what I'd use. Generally faster than Image for DOS and probably faster than Image for UEFI, though I'm less sure of that.
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

Thanks again for the responses. I have already installed Windows 10 on the new computer. I have been able to temporarily resolve the issue because the new computer has a second hard drive which is not yet in use, so I restored the backup (it is on optical media) to it. At the present time I just needed the data on the backup and did not intend to boot from it so I installed Image for Windows and restored the backup to the second drive. In the longer run, however I will need to be able to backup the new computer and would very much like to be able to boot Image from a CD or USB drive. I will experiment with Image for UEFI and Linux and report back here, hopefully within a few days.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

IHipschman wrote:
> Thanks again for the responses. I have already installed Windows 10 on the
> new computer. I have been able to temporarily resolve the issue because the
> new computer has a second hard drive which is not yet in use, so I restored
> the backup (it is on optical media) to it. At the present time I just
> needed the data on the backup and did not intend to boot from it so I
> installed Image for Windows and restored the backup to the second drive. In
> the longer run, however I will need to be able to backup the new computer
> and would very much like to be able to boot Image from a CD or USB drive. I
> will experiment with Image for UEFI and Linux and report back here,
> hopefully within a few days.

It's probably a good idea to have Image for UEFI (IFU) or Image for Linux (IFL) or both working, but if you have Image for Windows (IFW) installed, consider using that for backup. Perhaps you're nervous about backing up using the running system. If so, I understand. I felt that way for a long time, but I finally "bit the bullet" and started using IFW for most of my backups. It's been years since I started doing that. I've never had a problem restoring from any of these backups.
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

Got it working. Thanks again for the help. I used Image for UEFI to create a USB boot drive on the new computer and it worked.

For Bob Coleman: I do use Image for Windows to create my backups, but as you noted I do want to have some bootable media for restores in case I lose my main hard drive.